Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Good smoker for a beginner

Good smoker for a beginner

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:40 am
GBitto rare
rare

How do you folks feel about the low end bullet smokers? Want to know specifically about lack of vents on these units. I thought Char-Broil had them, but it might have been the 2002-2003 years model. How critical are the vents - how else do you control the temp.? Lowest price vertical smoker I've seen with vents is the Great Outdoors Grill Co. ($100). Anyone else know of any?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:08 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

My first bullet smoker was given to me. It doesn't have any vents on it. There is no way to control the temperature except with the amount of fuel. Vents are vital to the design of a smoker as air flow is critical to controlling you fire. In my opinion...if it doesn't have vents don't buy it. I would be ashamed to give the "Mr. Meat Smoker" to anyone else without explaining the problem. (I found it can smoke cheese it the winter, but any smoker can).

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:24 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

For a low end Bullet type, I wouldn't overlook the Char-Broil electric H20 smoker. IMHO it's hard to beat, especially for a novice Q'er. They have an electric thermostatic control that eliminates the need to fool around with vent's & fuel to control temp's. AKA Lazy-Q. Although most people who Q find the fooling with fuel & temp's part of the fun.

I've had 2 of these unit's, and while the temp control may not be as precise as with a non-electric type unit, they can put out some pretty mean Q. They are a good entry level unit, and a few more experienced Q'er's even like them.

The best part is they only cost about $70.00 at H.D., which leaves a lot of "wiggle room" in the wallet should one decide to upgrade later. And they alway's come in handy after you have bought an upgraded model as well :lol: . Just my $.02. What ever you decide on I'm sure you'll have lot's of fun with it, and lot's of good Q. Good luck. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Previous

Return to General Discussion