Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Steak Recipe- Lone Star???

Steak Recipe- Lone Star???

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:20 am
katzsteel rare
rare

I'm new to this forum and really like what I've read so far, so I'll throw this question out there for you all.

I have grilled a lot of steak and like the results, although there is only one steak I think tastes better than mine. I hate to admit it, but, Lone Star (the chain) has really good tasting steak and I don't know the secret. Anybody know the recipe for Lone Star steak i.e. rub or marinade? Any input would be great.

P.S.= I just saw a show on the food channel about a "Great steak cook off" and wondered what really would make the big difference in taste? The only thing I do now for a cut of steak is coat it with olive oil and then rub on Mrs. Dash table blend. It's good, but I want great. Of course, I also use some wood (hickory, apple, or cherry) to give it a little smokey flavor.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:35 pm
messickzr rare
rare

I am by no means an expert on steaks, but there are lots of different rubs out there to try. I use a little bit of everything when making steaks, but sometimes just good old garlic powder, salt, and pepper make a good steak. I have tried everything from cayenne pepper, to dry mustard. Here is a google search for steak rubs

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:51 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Try brushing on a little Dale's marinade just after you take it off the fire.

Some places do this as a secret touch.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:43 am
Big D well done
well done

I like Montreal Steak Spice when I dont feel like spending a lot of extra time making homemade rubs or BBQ's sauce for steaks... Its delicious. I always placea generous dollop of butter on a heated plate that I will serve the steak on to make it even better.

I also like to tenderize my meat ;) or the dry aging the beef at ome mentioned in a previous post is fantastic

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:52 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Here are some recent observations. A local supermarket chain had Black Angus Certified Ribeyes on sale for Memorial Day weekend, I bought 6 packed 2 to a package. I purchased them on Friday the 28th of May. I cooked the first pair that evening and frankly was disappointed, they were a bit tough and the flavor wasn't as robust as I like. I threw the other 2 pairs in the meat tray and forgot about them. I cooked the second pair Thursday the 3rd of June, much more tender and better flavor. I cooked the last pair last night, the 7th of June, and they were out of this world, fork tender and flavor was like I like it. Conclusion, some aging time in the fridge is required for most red meat. The last pair were aged 11 days and had truly developed that steakhoiuse flavor.

All were cooked the same way, sprinkled dry with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and that's it, no olive oil. I took them out of the fridge and allowed the to come up to room temp sprinlking them as they came out of the fridge. They were cooked 5 and 1/2 minutes a side for a total of 11 minutes until removed from the grill. They were rested for 5 minutes drizzled with olive oil as they were put to rest. As they were served they were drizzled with fresh lemon juice ( a great trick I learned here). I am very exact on my times because I want to be able to duplicate anything that comes off the grill. I keep pretty good notes on my cooking, so next time I want to knock someones socks off I know how to do it without worrying about it.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:17 pm
GBitto rare
rare

Asked them (the restaurant) what made their steaks so good. Was told cajun spices and mesquite smoke. Might not be exactly the same, but I tried some Luzianne Cajun Seasoning, threw the steaks on a gas grill, and the results were pretty close. Add some mesquite and who knows?

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:00 pm

Yeah the great steak off was awesome....it motivated me to grill up 6 rib eyes tonight...they were great I used some Montréal and let that sit on the meat in the fridge for a couple of hours..then when they were almost done I brushed them down with a chipotle sauce and I also tried for the first time brushing them down with honey....delish. I also used charcoal and mesquite wood as well

SM

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:11 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Mesquite gives red meat a very nice and unique flavor. It’s widely used in Texas and Calf for cooking beef. I always use mesquite charcoal lumps or briquettes and mesquite wood chunks when cooking steaks. Just as hickory is a good match with pork, mesquite is good match with beef.

Return to General Discussion