Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bates pitts

Bates pitts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:07 pm
snooks

can anyone tell me anything about Bates pitts??they are located in texas.Also if anyone has any onfo on Southern yankee in indiana i would appreciate it.Basically I am looking for a bigger smoker with a large capacity---any help is appreciated.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

snooks, I haven't heard of this company before. Thanks for the info. They have some high-res photos for some of their pits on their site: http://www.batespitts.com/index.html . I really liked the ones that show details of the construction of their large towable pit.

I am curious. You mentioned having a Lang. What model? Also what is it about your towable that you don't like (you said that you didn't want another Lang)? What are you looking for in your new rig?

I've seen you around the board lately and would like to invite your to sign up and join us!

Gook luck with your quest.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:13 am
snooks

I currently have the lang model 60 and operate a bbq catering business with it.It was good to start with but does not allow me the capacity to cook for larger groups.Thats why I am looking for a larger towable unit.Currently considering southern yankee but I need to talk to someone that has operated one to know more.As for the lang unit there seems to be a significant heat differential rom one side to the other.Right over the firebox gets much warmer than the other end.This forces us to have to rotate food halfway thru and that just takes up valuable time.I think this is due to the fact that there are no tuning shields in the unit---just something for someone to keep in mind.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:51 am
batespitts

hello all and i just wanted to say i was glad to some discussion about my pitts in this forum , it is the first time i have been here and i hope it is not my last,
to answer the gentlemans question about bates pitts , i am a small company out of humble,tx , and what we do here are custom builds that the customer designs for there specific use, i do not mass produce pits , i personnaly build each pit and use the knowledge that i obtain from the cooking teams , customers and friends that use my pits to make the best cooking pits you can find, and since i dont mass produce or have a small army building them i can keep the price down and keep the quality up to a high standard
thanx steve
bates pitts

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Snooks thanks for the input. I do believe that shields are vital to the design of a good pit. They even had a mod for the Bandera that I just got that works like a tuning shield.

Steve Bates, do sign up and join us! :D We'd like to have you along for the ride. Is Humble on the north side of Houston? If so, whenever I get the opportunity to travel to Houston, I’ll drop by. I’ve been looking at the “Entertainer” with options, made by Gator. Do you make a similar rig? Also do you have any distributable information that you email or snail mail?

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:24 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steve - Welcome to the board. I know I for one (and I'm sure I'm not alone) would love to have you stick around. You sure have a unique perspective and loads of insight. Hope to see you around.

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:26 am
steve

thanx for the warm welcome , i plan on spending alot of time here getting all the ifo i can about smokers , im always trying to better my product, and yes i do offer a (entertainer) as to speak , just finished once would post a pic if i knew how
steve
batespitts

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:53 am
snooks

steve could you please email me a pic of your version of the entertainer and what the cost is to snooks2252002@yahoo.com----thanx

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:51 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Steve, if you would like to post pictures in your messages, here are a few topics that may help:
pic help
free image hosting
Q log

Sure would like to see you version of the "Entertainer".

Also please consider registering with us and becoming a member.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:14 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Snooks,

In response to your post from another thread I can't say from experience if there are or are not any issues with Southern Yankee. I have seen some posts on other forums that would indicate that you should do some research first. By all means check them out for yourself.

Steve welcome to the board.

RichD

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:16 am
Big Belly rare
rare

Steve,

I have been toiling over who's pitt I was going to buy. It finally came down to either Klose or Bates...

After seeing your ad (or at least I thought it was yours) in Ebay for that pit selling for 5,500.00 I was sold. I know now I will purchase a Bates pit for several reasons: price, style and craftsmanship. One thing worth mentioning. Your pitts look almost the same as the pitts from PennsylvaniaPitts in PA.

Do you have a partnership set up with those folks? If so, then naturally it would make sense for me to get one from that location cause it is alot closer to Maryland then Texas.

Do not get me wrong, I don't mind taking the trip to Texas to pick up a unit. but, if I can get one closer with the same style, quality, and price, why not!

I wont be able to get the pitt till next year--just being a little proactive.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:25 pm
hobecat rare
rare

thanks rich---in regards to doing research for southern yahee--i am trying but its just very hard.I asked them if they could supply me with some refernces in my area that I could talk to or go see the unit.I dont know how they could expect me to spend possibly over 10,ooo dollars on a pit that I can only see online.They claim to sell all kinds of pits in my area but say there is no way to give me a reference--I simply dont buy it.One of my cocncerns with southern yankee is that I heard there is an issue with shooddy workmanship---dont know if thats true or not.For instance I was told what looks like stainless on the website is actually sprayed aluminum.Still doing my homework.The only reason I am attracted to them is cause of the rottiserie feature that can hold an incredible amount of food.
Never trust a skinny chef!!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:38 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I had heard that they (the company) was difficult to work with. Like you I don't buy the fact that they can not provide a reference. You would think that a company that stands behind it's qaulity would want to show it off as often as possible. Anyway, good luck in your search. i'm sure you will find what you need.

RichD

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:53 am
steve

hey guys sorry it took so long to get back on here but everytime i made a post it wouldnt go through,
to answer big bellys question i am not associated with southern yankee , im just a texan who builds smokers any size or style at a fair price

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:46 pm
Rick rare
rare

I would like to get in on this discussion. I know there is some controversy around the Sounhern Yankee Pits. I ordered a pit from Austin National Smokers this last April. I drove to Memphis for the World BBQ Championships and met Troy Austin. ( he had towed my pit down there from Indiana). I towed it back to Oregon and have been enjoying it ever since. I have been catering some weddings and private parties. The rotisserie feature is great because it moves the meat through all of the zones in the pit, fromom the coolest to warmest, and through the smoke zones. The meat turns out consistent every time. I have found it to be a very nice unit. I am sure there are several other brands that are just as good. This just happens to be the one I settled on, and Troy Austin was great to work with.

Rick

Return to General Discussion