Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What to cook first?

What to cook first?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:51 am
MrTrat rare
rare

I'm so excited because when I get home tonight there is a big Weber Genesis Gold C waiting to be stop-watch engineered.

I've never grilled with Gas before and I need to plan its debut menu for 4 adults this weekend.....any ideas on what would be a good showcase of the Grill without showing me up?

Btw, I've ordered the How to Grill book but its not been delivered yet.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:17 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

MrTrat you're gonna love your new Gold C and you'll certainly get a lot of use from it with "How to Grill"!!! :D

As for the christening on the maiden cook, Ribeye or Sirloin comes to mind with some grilled onions and mushrooms. AndyC has a mushroom recipe on his web site that I have to try. I also like to grill pineapple slices dipped in butter, cinnamon & sugar. You could smoke some baked potatoes using the indirect grilling method ahead of time. I coat them with bacon grease and a little S&P. Mmmm steak & taters.

I'm sure you'll hear a lot of great ideas! Have fun :D

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:32 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I don't know your skill as a cook so I would suggest staying away from things people are picky with on your new grill till you are familliar with it, that includes steaks. Do some kabobs or a beer can chicken or something else hard to ruin and easy to please. I hardly ever serve steak for my guests because I don't care much to listen about how they like it. Instead I serve meals they usually don't have much of an opinion on to begin with or are indifferent to doneness like ribs for example.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:36 am
MrTrat rare
rare

How does one "smoke" baked potatoes on a Gas Grill - is it by using a foil pouch as I read elsewhere on the board?

I wanted to order a griddle plate but it was out of stock - how does one prevent the onions dropping through the grill bars without?

I'm thinking of changing my name from MrTrat to 20Questions but I need to put on a good show because this rig cost 1,700 dollars and they'll be expecting something good.

That's another question: do you know of any Online USA stores that ship BBQ stuff and gear to Europe. I didn't manage to find any and I had a fairly good look. I'm already feeling the need for a Weber bullet....

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:40 am
MrTrat rare
rare

Yup....I'm leaning toward the beer can chicken - that looks interesting and I might even put a smiley lemon face on top.

What else would you serve?

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:51 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

A foil pouch works great, you can also purchase a cast iron or stainless steel smoker box to place the wood in. I heard of even using a small cast iron skillet as a smoker box.

Here's how you keep the onions from falling through the grate!
The toothpicks hold evetything together quite nicely. You can also cut them for kebob skewers.

Your questions are welcomed.

You'll have to check with online stores shipping policies. Most have them posted somewhere on their site. Some do and some don't. Some won't even shipp to an APO or FPO box (which is an address in the states for military members overseas). Go figure :? .

Good luck in your quest for BBQ gear!
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:27 pm
chagan well done
well done

What country are you in MrTratt?

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:20 am
PaulP well done
well done

Mr Trat - Instead of a griddle, a grill topper is a better and cheaper alternative. They also have holes to allow juices to drain, and smoke to caress the food.

Did you check Amazon's shipping policies? I know we have other members in Europe and they may be able to answer your question. In what country do you live?
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:47 am
MrTrat rare
rare

A Griddle Topper? Any Pics?

I tried Amazon but they wouldn't deliver to Ireland. The Dollar / Euro exchange makes your gear look so cheep.

First Menu Tonight is Tuna Steak and a side of Stuffed Peppers - from the Weber Grill book that came with the new baby

(that's if MrsTrat gets me a bottle of Gas and the Fish Monger has tuna)

Tomorrow (if the weather holds!) I'm going to try a beer can chicken

The day after is open to suggestions................

Return to General Discussion