Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Stuffed Pork Loin

Stuffed Pork Loin

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:59 am
PaulP well done
well done

Some time ago, someone (Grand Scale??) posted about cooking a pork loin that he stuffed with prosciutto, cheese and spinich. I tried a version of this over the weekend, and had a problem. Most of the cheese ran out into the grill during cooking, even though the roast was tied tightly. Can the poster tell me how you prevented this problem?

BTW....if you're doing this, use a LOT of spinich. It cooks up to nothing.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:18 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

When I stuff the pork loin, I usually carve a tunnel through the center of the loin with a sharpening steel or wooden dowel. I start at one end of the loin and stop one inch away from the other end, this way I’ll have an opening only on one side of the loin. I widen the tunnel using my fingers and make small channels along the tunnel (left and right), making sure I don’t go all the way through the meat. I stuff the loin and stop 1 inch away from the opening. And then I plug up the opening with half of a raw potato. When using cheese in the stuffing, I usually use chunks and not shredded cheese. Big pieces of cheese tend to melt slower than the shredded kind. Once I’m done stuffing it, I tie a piece of butcher twine around the outer edge of the loin, so it secures the potato plug in place. One thing I found helpful is trimming the potato plug to be slightly bigger than the opening. This way when I force in place, it would seal the opening and nothing leaks out. Also when the meat shrinks around the potato, it will hold it even more in place. You could use an apple in place of the potato, but apples tend to get too soft towards the end of cooking and may cause some leakage.
I hope this helps.

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry Paul I wish I could help but that poster wasn't me. That's a recipe I've yet to tackle. I can tell you that Steve has several similar recipes in HTG and Bible. I believe they're for beef but I wouldn't see why you couldn't just alter the temps and times to do it with pork.
Good Luck

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:52 am
PaulP well done
well done

Thanks, BBQ-Z. I used te other technique for stuffing a loin. That is, I butterflied it, inserted my stuffing, then tied it back together with butcher's twine. I've used this method successfully for other types of stuffings, but it apparently doesn't work well when cheese is in the picture.

GS - didn't have a problem with cooking it, just lost the cheese.
PaulP

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My thought is that your cheese problem lies in the temps and times. I'll compare it to when I use my chili grill to make poppers. If I cook too hot to quick all the cheese bubbles out, whereas lower and slower it stays in just fine. I'd be curious to see what temps Steve uses for this style and to see if they're the same as without the stuffings. My hunch is that they're lower to keep the cheese. Just a thought.
Good luck, let us know what works.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:53 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

PaulP wrote:
BTW....if you're doing this, use a LOT of spinich. It cooks up to nothing.

PaulP, from your post it sound's like you may have used uncooked spinich when you stuffed the loin? If so, that would explain the shrinkage problem. Using precooked spinich in the stuffing would eliminate that problem for you. Hope this help's. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:27 pm
PaulP well done
well done

YB2 - That never occured to me. DUH!!!
I assumed that cooking it in the meat would add flavor to both.

GS - Since pork loin is so lean, I figured low temps would allow it to dry out before it was done, and cooked it at about 350. I've been successful with unbrined loin at this temp before.

Had a nice fire when I pre-heated the grill for my next cook!
PaulP

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:30 am
snooks

love smoked pork loins!!We have a pork loin on our menu that we sell for 18.50 a person.It is stuffed with a sausage,cornbread and pistachio stuffing(also has some other ingredients)but upon serving we top it off with a mango salsa----delicious!!

Return to General Discussion