Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Water Smoker

Water Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 30, 2004 7:36 pm

I have a Smokey Mountain 3600G smoker. I want to do a Boston butt - it weighs 4 1/2 pounds - supermarket cut, boneless. I plan to do chicken parts at the same time. How long should I expect to take the butt to complete? Also, should I use the water or do this as a dry method? Can the two be done at the same time?

Post Sun May 30, 2004 7:53 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

greatdaneheaven,
I have the same smoker as well. It usually takes me 4-5 hours to do 3 chickens (split in a half) at 250 degrees. As far as the pork butt, I’ve done (2) 5 pound butts (bone-in) in about 12 hours at 225 degrees. You must let the internal temp reach 195 degrees in order for meat to pull. I always leave the water pan in and full. The water contributes a great deal of moistures to the pork butts. When I cook chicken alone, I usually use the water pan for the first 2-3 hours of cooking, and then I remove it and turn up the temp up to 300 degrees to crisp up the skin (just a personal preference).
I hope this helps.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 5:08 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I would figure roughly 2 hours per pound on the pork. I tried it once based on a books recommendation once ended up eating before it was pullable (is that a word). It was good but not pullable.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 9:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

greatdaneheaven welcome to the board!

I have both the 3600G and the 3600 charcoal (yet to season it). Since BBCue-Z does his the same way I do, I'll just say DITTO!

Return to General Discussion