Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion favorite ribeye recipes?

favorite ribeye recipes?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 9:33 pm
olliejen raw
raw

I bought 3 lovely ribeyes (they were on sale!) but not sure how to prepare. any favorites out there i could give a try?

Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:22 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

olliejen
A good rib eye is my favorite cut of meat to grill. A good rib eye has lots of fat, and I believe only needs a coating of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper for seasoning. Grill it over a high heat to sear it nicely. We like the meat really rare, and over lump charcoal fire I grill for 2 minutes and then rotate it 90 degreees for another 2 minutes. Flip it over (don't use a fork) grill for 2 minutes, rotate 90 degrees and grill another 2 minutes. If you want it a little more done go for 3 or 4 minutes on the last side. When you take it off the grill cover them with foil and let them rest for 5 minutes.

Post Sun May 30, 2004 1:44 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Olliejen,

As ThrRoff stated, a good Ribeye don't need much doctorin', although I've been guilty of rubbing a little olive oil and smashed clove of garlic on one a time or two. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Sun May 30, 2004 7:36 am
ryno23 medium-rare
medium-rare

Ribeyes are great so thats why I don't add much, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I usually grill them about 5 min a side, rotating them after 2 min and then let them rest for about 5 minutes. Happy Grilling

Post Sun May 30, 2004 11:40 am
hotchef well done
well done

If you wanna try something that's a little different, do something that I learned from a famous steak house in Panama City, FL, called Angelo's. After you have cooked the steaks and while they are resting, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice on them. I know it sounds weird, but it is amazing how well the lemon will bring out the beefy taste of the steak and compliment it very well. Hope you enjoy!

Post Sun May 30, 2004 12:00 pm
spfranz well done
well done

This is a marinade I used on rib eyes once. It's from a book called Cooking Fearlessly which is a cookbook unlike any other I have. It's from a restaurant in Austin called Hudson's on the Bend. Ate the best meal of my life there.

I posted it on other forums and got nothing but flack for doing this to a rib eye ("that's just dumb - rib eyes don't need anything" and "what are you trying to make, cevich?", etc). But my philosophy has always been to try things before condemning them. I also normally just do a little salt and pepper on rib eyes, but I have to say, these are some of the best steaks I've ever had (at home or out).

I marinaded them for 10 hours and the lime juice cooked the outside of the steaks a bit but they still seared quite nicely and the flavor was unbelievable. I never doubt anything that comes from this book. How To Grill is my old testament and Cooking Fearlessly is my new testament (Barbecue Bible is my devotional book) :)

Scott

---------------

Bock Beer Marinade

1 - 12 ounce can of dark bock beer
2 T minced garlic
2 T minced red onion
2 T Worcestershire sauce
4 shakes of Tabasco
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 T course brown mustard
2 T olive oil
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Return to General Discussion