Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chkn Brisket and Ribs

Chkn Brisket and Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 10:17 am
RMR

Going to do a beer can chicken, a 5 lb. brisket and two racks of spare ribs tomorrow. Trying to time it all right. Thinking of maintaining a temp of 225 degrees. Smoking brisket for 5.5-6 hours, the ribs for about 5 hours and chicken for 3 hours. Any suggestions?

Post Sat May 29, 2004 10:31 am

When I do beer can chicken it typically takes 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours at the temp that you listed, so check it with a thermomoter after an hour to get a bering on temp. I check the brest and the thigh for temp. Usually when I do Beer Can Chicken I'll pull it off at 165 and let it rest for 20 min, with the beer can still in it. While it is resting it usually comes up another 10 degrees or so. From what I have read 170 is the best tempurature.

Also, when I do a chicken, I set a pie tin under it toped off with water and or beer so it gets a little more steam action and don't dry out, plus it is a great greese catcher.

I haven't cooked a Brisket yet, so I'll be interested to see what advice you get.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:06 am

Thanks for the tip! My struggle is trying to get everything cooked and finished at the same time. I was just told that I should keep my pit at about 300 degrees, smoke the brisket for about six hours, the ribs for 3-4 and the chicken for about 2 hours. I plan on having all of it on the pit at the same time, so obviously some meats will be closer to the fire pit and cook a little faster. Thinking that I will have the brisket farthest, then the ribs, and chicken closest to the fire. We'll see what happens. Right now I have a smoker that I got from bbqpits.biz Model 17 They are great for a small backyard setup.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:08 am
RMR

Oh yeah, if you want a GREAT cookbook, check out "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book". It is full of recipes from all the pit masters from the best places in TX!

Post Sun May 30, 2004 10:09 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RMR, I bought that book for my brother-in-law last Christmas.

I never cook a brisket fast. When I do brisket they cook for 16-18 hours (whole, untrimmed brisket that is). Sounds like you may have a trimmed flat, in which case it won't take as long. But six hours still seems like a short time to me. If a brisket cooks too quickly it will be tough. It is the long exposure to low heat, 225-250*, that breaks down the sinue and fibers in the tissue and makes it tender. I'd run it for about 8 to 10 hours and IF it finished early you can always wrap it in foil, then in a towel or two, and hold it in an insulated chest (like a cooler) for several hours.

A coke can chicken in the smoker by its self at 225* takes me 4 to 4-1/2 hours. Adding more mass (other meats) to the smoker at the same time increases the cooking time. Two chicks took 5 hours. Five at once took, I believe 7-1/5 hours.

Raising the temperature to 300* will shorten the cook time some, but remember that brisket will turn out tender only by Low-N-Slow. So don't try to rush it too much or you'll have a tough and chewy meal.

Return to General Discussion