Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion test

test

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 2:03 pm
502mids well done
well done

pardon the test, I've had trouble posting

Now, let me start a fight. What's the best way to clean the grates (A) scrub with your favorite cleaner, (B) burn it off when you're done cooking, or (C) don't worry about it, you can burn it of the next time you cook, while preheating.

(A) work
(B) I usually forget to turn off the grill
(C) efficient, and another reason to open the top before lighting, so you don't cook the cat.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 2:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've had another mention they were having trouble posting as well. Hope it's working now.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 2:10 pm
spfranz well done
well done

D) all of the above (kind of)

My usual routine goes something like this:

1) Heat up the grill
2) Take a grill brush to it
3) Oil the grates
4) Cook your food
5) Take a brush to it again
6) Close it down

Seems to keep my grates working just the way I need them.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:27 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

spfranz wrote:
D) all of the above (kind of)

My usual routine goes something like this:

1) Heat up the grill
2) Take a grill brush to it
3) Oil the grates
4) Cook your food
5) Take a brush to it again
6) Close it down

Seems to keep my grates working just the way I need them.

Scott

Thats about the ticket for me. I also close my vents to stop the fire after I take a brush to it the last time so I save coals for the next session and retain some oils on my grates to protect from oxidizing. For that reason, my final brush isn't as vigorous as before i cook the food.

Off to cook some ribeye and corn on the cob! :D

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:24 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Airfoil has caught what I do to the grill. Though I have been treating the grates on my Baby Q a bit differently, with a good wash every fourth of fifth grilling session.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:38 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

502mids, welcome to the group.
You may have a different cleaning ritual depending on what your grates are made of. Stainless Steel is very versatile. You can scrub it hard, throw it in the dishwasher, or a self-cleaning oven.
Cast Iron needs to stay seasoned. It can be thrown in a self-cleaning oven as long as its reseasoned. Avoid using soap or placing in a dishwasher. Srubbing with salt when heated works well too. Most of all though, keep it seasoned.
Porcelain coated will last a long time as long as you don't chip or scratch the porcelain. Throw in dishwasher between uses. Use self-cleaning oven for extreme cleaning. Comet, softscrub, or other ceramic cleaners will also work. Avoid scrubbing with traditional metal brushes. Use a brush or stone approved for porcelain. Even then, make dishwasher your primary method or wash in sink with other dishes when cool. Porcelain softens when heated. Keep well lubricated to avoid scraping food off and chipping porcelain with your spatula. Definitely don't use a worn spaatula with sharp or rough edges. Teflon coated spatulas are probably best. Treat porcelain grates like other fragile dishes and take care of them and you can grow old with them.
Chrome grates suck. Wear em out so you can replace them with something better.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:11 am
RMR

I've also been told that after you brush, you can take a lemon or lime while the grates are hot. That will clean it up. You can do it after cooking or before you cook while preheating.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks all for your tips, I think I've found a good site for bbq info. My grates were porcelain coated but I didn't baby them as I should. If I replace with porcelain I'll know better.

Airfoils, you mentioned saving the coals (I've seen a couple of other posts about that). I've always let the coals burn out and dumped them a few days later. How do you save them? Can you only do it with certain brands of grills? The main reason I favor gas is the hassle of disposing coals.

Oh, and by the way, who posted the pictures of five or six grills and smokers (I thought it was one of the Georgia boys but I can't find it now). I just want to show SWMBO that two or three grills would not be unusual.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 3:31 pm
502mids well done
well done

"Thanks all for your tips, I think I've found a good site for bbq info..."

that was 502mids, I forgot to log in

Post Sun May 30, 2004 10:18 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BBcue-Z had the photo with the patio full of grills & smokers.

To save the charcoal you simply close the lid and all the vents as soon as you finish cooking. This cuts off the oxygen supply to the fire and they go out before they have burnt up. This way you save some of the charcoal. You sill have to clean out and dispose of the ash. No way around that. :wink:

Hope this helps.

BTW, I have one grill and four smokers on my back porch. I think I could use a few more too.

Post Sun May 30, 2004 12:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is the picture:
I don’t think anyone could have too many grills. I’ll be adding a new Kamado smoker to my collection soon. And next year, I will up grade my gas grills to S.S.
Happy Grilling :D

Post Sun May 30, 2004 1:30 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I don't know Z, once you get that Kamado, you may just get rid of your gas grills all together :)

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun May 30, 2004 3:20 pm
502mids well done
well done

Bob-BQN, thanks for the info, I may start looking into charcoal more seriously.

BBcue-Z, thanks for the pictures. What a lovely bunch of children you have!

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:51 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Z -- I am truly impressed with that collection of grills, and more than a tad bit jealous.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:22 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Z, those grills all look brand new. You take great care of your equipment. That covered area must be great when it rains.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Next

Return to General Discussion