Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jack Daniels wood chips

Jack Daniels wood chips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:05 pm
Fired rare
rare

I was at the store the other day and saw them. I smelled the bag and the smell was very strong. The bag says they are made from the whiskey barrels. I was wondering if anyone has used them; what to cook them with, and how the meat comes out?

Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:35 pm

Fired,
I have a habit of taking the time to smell my food before I eat it and the J.D. wood chips does impart a nice smokey taste/smell to the meat. No taste of J.D itself but I think you can achieve the same smokey flavor from other brands of woodchips and get more woodchips for the money. my 2 pennies.

Jimmy

Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:39 pm
Rump Roast rare
rare

That was me. I thought I logged in. Sorry

Jimmy

Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:42 pm
Big D well done
well done

I like to use the JD woodchips occassionally.. as mentioned they normally are a little more pricey.

There are some good recipes for JD ribs and Chicken marindades and sauces on the web and I tend to save the woodchips when I use JD in a sauce or marindae (or if I am sitting down with a bottle or 2 with dinner ;) )

I like to keep all my food with a similar taste or a storng contrast,,, so JD smoke with a JD sauce goes well with my style of cooking

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:51 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I have used the JD wood chips, and really like them. According to Federal law, they cannot re-use whiskey barrels, so there are craftsmen around Lynchburg who turn them into other things, like a bar that hangs on the wall, etc. Some barrels are chopped up and fed through a chipper, and packaged for use as fire spice.

Barbecuer's Delite has smoking pellets, made from the charcoal that filters the whiskey before it goes into the barrels. Wal-Mart carries this in their BBQ section, and here in AZ, it is $4.96 a bag (enough for 10 uses.) I don't know why, but this is the only item from BD's inventory Wally World carries. At one time, they carried almost all of BD's items, in small, trial packages. I intend to order BD's complete line.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 am
Rob96 rare
rare

I like the chips. They add a unique flavor. I have used it with the beer can chicken, split breasts and london broil.

Return to General Discussion