Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion osage orange (hedgeapple tree)

osage orange (hedgeapple tree)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:11 am
hawgpimp rare
rare

Guys, we'vegot a lot of this in KY. It burns very hot, similar to mesquite but have wondered about using it for smoking. thought it could be used to build a bed of coals and add some of a "smokier species, hickory, pecan, maple. any thoughts?

Post Thu May 27, 2004 11:45 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm familiar with the tree you mentioned. It is everywhere in Missouri where I grew up. However, After searching several BBQ specific websites, I haven't found anywhere where it's safe to cook with or not. Several references were found where the hedge apple itself makes a good pest repellent.

I wouldn't recommend using it to cook with on the basis that others burn it in their fireplace or because it's so readily available. We had another member ask about using bittersweet because it was abundant in his area and through research we found it to contain toxins.

When dealing with food always lean toward the side of caution. Don't use it until you can confirm that it's safe to eat.

Hope this helps!

Post Thu May 27, 2004 3:08 pm
hawgpimp rare
rare

thx, did some more resdearch and found it to be a cousin of mulberry, but not crazy about being the first to try it. always wanted to be a trendsetter, but not that way, lol

Post Thu May 27, 2004 3:57 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

hawgpimp, according to Bob's list in this thread, Mulberry is suitable for smoking purposes.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... light=wood
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Return to General Discussion