Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Drilling hole's in Stainless Steel grill..... question's

Drilling hole's in Stainless Steel grill..... question's

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

About the only thing I'm not happy with so far concerning my new Gold D, is the lack of built in utensil holder's it provide's. It only has 3 off to the right at the side burner area.

I was thinking about drilling several holes in the S/S front pannel (below the control knobs) so I can put some "S " hook's there to hang my utensil's, much more convenient location for me also. Having my utensil's hanging there while cooking would obstruct the use of cabinet door's, but that isn't a problem as I don't use that space for much of anything anyway.

Aside from being careful of the wiring behind the front pannel, does anyone know if drilling holes in the stainless would have any adverse affect to the steel itself, i.e. make it more prone to rusting, ect.. Thank's ! YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Thu May 27, 2004 5:46 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I don’t know much about drilling on S.S., but I bought this tool holder from Amazon.com for $3.99. It hooks up on any edge of the grill, or on one of the racks.
I hope this helps.

Post Thu May 27, 2004 6:49 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Drilling in stainless is not the easiest thing you will ever do. Stainless is tough and eats drill bits like crazy. It's alot like cooking brisket, low amd slow. Very low speed and low pressure on the drill. It helps if you use good sharp drill bits. The one that I always use is the Black and Decker / Dewalt bit that has a smaller point than the actual hole size you want to end up with. I would try to find other solutions before I started to drill. If you decide to drill, you can almost figure using a drill bit per hole.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu May 27, 2004 7:07 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YB2 -
I'd hate to see you drill that shiny new toy of yours. Plus it will void you warranty, and remember that a major reason you went Weber. I'd look at some other options. Like magnetic tool holder. Buy one like shown above, drill holes in that and fix it to two strong magnets. Then you can move it around as well, best of all, your warrantyy is intact.

Post Thu May 27, 2004 8:53 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

If you'ed like a tip on where to get some really strong magnets...I know where they hide them. Find a really old hard drive from an old computer. You know one of those 20MB drives that's too small to hold even data files anymore or one that has crashed. Take the old HD completely apart and inside there are two of the strongest magnets. I couldn't believe the force they contain so close to the platens. Anyway they're fun to play with! :D

Post Thu May 27, 2004 10:07 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Appreciate the input guy's. I guess drilling it isn't the brightest idea in the world :roll: . I'll check around a bit more, there seem's to be a whole bunch of gadget's available that I wasn't aware of. YB2

Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:53 pm
Big D well done
well done

I Got magnetic clip holders which I attached from the cabinet doors because I found the hanging it from the knob panel got in my way many times. I also am contemplating adhesive hooks to hang from the side of the left shelf space (opposite the side burner) o I dont have to bend over

like GS said.. DON'T DRILL.... if had no warranty left I'd say go for it.. but the last thing you want is for something to happen to it and find out you voided the warranty

Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:58 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Point's well taken, Thank's Big D. YB2

Post Thu May 27, 2004 10:24 pm
bcarl raw
raw

Glad you decided to look a little further before drilling. Lots of good points as to why you should not drill have already been made. As far as causing damage, as long as the drill is clean and designed for stainless steel and you drill slow it should not be a problem. I weld some stainless steel and must use welding rod with high nickel content for welding and the grinding is the most important if you use a grinding disc that was used for mild steel you will impregnate the stainless with it and cause it to rust.

Besides the above I agree with all the others for not drilling.
No I do not always cook it to death!

Return to General Discussion