Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ribs with Weber Silver B

Ribs with Weber Silver B

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 3:33 pm
hayesb2 raw
raw

I just bought the Weber Propane Gas Silver B Grill from Lowe's.
For those of you who have this grill, what is the best way to bbq ribs?
What burners do you turn on/off for indirect cooking?
Are there any special tricks to maintain consistent temps for this grill?
Should I get the Rib Rack or this not needed?
Any other tips?
Thanks.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 4:11 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy hayesb2, welcome to the board!

We had a pretty good discussion on ribs a while back: Here's the LINK.

The best way to cook ribs is low-n-slow. I cook them in a smoker at 225*. In a grill you would do this indirectly. To cook indirectly on a gass grill; if you place the food in the middle you turn on the outside burners, and it you place the food at one end you turn on the burner(s) on the opposite end. Since the object is to cook the ribs slowly you use a med to med-low fire, depending on your grill. Maintaining a constant temperature on a gass grill is pretty easy. I don't have a gas grill, but I do have a gas smoker. Once everything warms up and you have the knob(s) in the right position it'll maintain the temp.

Rib racks are not necessary. They are used to optimze surface are by standing the ribs up on end which allows you to cook more ribs in the same amount of grate space. Some folks don't use rib racks because they say their mop sauce runs off too quickly. You can skewer several racks of ribs with wooded skewers and stand the up in rows or roll the in a circle in place of a rack.

Removed the membrane from the back side of the ribs prior to marinading, rubbing or cooking. It will allow flavors and heat to penitrate the meat better. The ribs will also seperate easier when cooked and be easier to eat. It's my preference anyway.

Hope this helps! Have fun! :)

Post Tue May 25, 2004 1:53 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I usually do my ribs at 325 or so on a Silver B. That said, if you prefer to cook at 225, you'll have to turn off two burners on this grill and set the one lit burner pretty low. Just make sure you don't put the ribs over any lit burner. I cook them bone side down. I have done two racks of spares by stacking them. Switch the bottom slab to the top about halfway through the cook.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion