Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoker/Grill Specs....... Need Advice

Smoker/Grill Specs....... Need Advice

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 3:21 pm
linhardt

I have read several BBQ forums searching and reading the posts for my ideal BBQ setup on a budget. I have a Weber Grill 22 1/2" now. I am looking for something bigger and better to advance in the BBQ realm.

Here are the specs. I am looking for:
Smoker/Grill..... Something where you can do both smoke and grill, such as the barrel smokers with the side firebox with grill in firebox for direct grilling. It does not have to neccissarily have to have a side fire box, but need to be able use wood logs. I do not need anything too extreme but I would like to have at least 1/4" steel. I have been looking at the CharGriller Smokin' Pro, but It does not have 1/4" steel. It is thinner. But I think it best fits my needs so far and is a good price at just under $200.
My budget is $400 or less.

Can you all give me some ideas of other brands that would meet my needs?

Thanks!

Post Sun May 23, 2004 6:27 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Linhardt,
I have the Chargriller smoker/grill and I love it. I first bought the grill and it worked very well for me, later I added the side fir box and stared smoking with it. In fact, I used it this weekend to smoke some chicken. The temp control was a breeze. I was able to keep it between 225-250 and I only added coals once every 2 to 21/2 hours. I got mine at Low’s for $119.00 and the firebox was $49.99. I highly recommend this unit, it’s very versatile and it holds the temp very well (during grilling and smoking).
Here is a picture of my smoked chicken:

Post Sun May 23, 2004 9:17 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

BBcue-Z,

Wow, that chicken looks good. I just finished dinner, and it still makes me hungry.

Post Sun May 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

WOW BBcue-z,

That's a tasty lookin' FLOCK of chicken's you got piled on that thing, I can smell 'em from here :lol: . Did you have to do any mod's to that Chargriller Smoker-grill, or did you get it to hold those temp's right out of the box?
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 6:05 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Guys :oops:

Yankee Bill,
I did not make any modifications to the grill/smoker. The only thing I’ve done to it, is adding the side firebox. I think it’s well built, and the metal is thick enough to keep a consistent temp. If you noticed from the picture, the chicken on both side of the grill is equally browned. The grill also has a consistent temp through out the cooking surface even when using the side firebox.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:39 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Great Que BBQue-Z!

Linhardt, you may want to browse some of the links contained in this thread: http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=981 . There are several 1/4" manufactures listed. Good luck on your quest! :)

Return to General Discussion