Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Polder Malfunction

Polder Malfunction

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 9:35 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I have 2 Polder thermometers that I’ve been using for a couple of years now. Yesterday during smoking 2 whole pork shoulders, both thermometers failed on me. On the first on the temp display was showing 888. On the second one, the temp display just kept on rolling non-stop. I’ve taking the batteries out, reset them and plug the probes back in, but nothing changed. The smoker internal temp was at 225 degrees, and the probes were far away from the heat source. Anyone know the cause of this?
As you see in the picture I had to revert to the old fashion gauge :(

Post Sun May 23, 2004 10:16 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z, from conversations I've read on the Internet there have been a few things people have mentioned. Heat can damage the leads, of course, but that shouldn't have happened under normal "smoking" conditions. The lead getting pinched or kinked will also cause a failure. And the last event I've heard of is water or some liquid penitrating the lead cable and causing a temperary malfunction. It was reported that after the lead dried out it worked again. If some mop sauce or drippings got into the wire then it may be causing the trouble.

I wouldn't recommend calling Polder unless you enjoy torment. Their customer service, IMHO, is substandard. The have incomprehensable communications skills (in english anyway) and they usually end up blaming the customer for the problem. :cry:

Fortunately replacement probes and not too expensive and easy to come by.

Hope you find the trouble.

Post Sun May 23, 2004 11:19 am
Big D well done
well done

on the upside, the food looks amazing

thanks for the pic!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:16 am
Vinsect well done
well done

The only time I've had a problem was when I got mop sauce in my probe sensor. It behaved pretty much like you just described. I guess it short circuits. Anyway, once it dried out it was fine.

I'd like to get some extra probes, that being one good reason. That would also let me monitor multiple cuts of meat in different areas of my grill by unplugging from one sensor and plugging into another.

As for customer service, what do you expect from a french company? I love the product but I'm not wild about the french.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 12:23 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Sounds more like an electronics problem. The 888 is a common problem when the LCD readout fails or there is a short to the LCD readout. As to the continuous rolling it sound like there may have been some moisture that has worked it's way into the unit where the probe plugs in. It's odd that both went at the same time though, unless it was raining and they were exposed to water.

RichD

Return to General Discussion