Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Got to christen the Gold D tonight...FINALLY

Got to christen the Gold D tonight...FINALLY

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

It happened at last. The skies here were overcast again and looked like it was going to pour down again, but I did a quick meal and it came out great :lol: . Had a couple of 1" thick N.Y. strip's that I massaged w / fresh garlic, a little olive oil, and some freshly ground pepper. Put a handful of soaked mesquite chip's in the smoker box and cranked her up on high til it reached 550 deg. and was smoking good, put the steak's on then turned down to med. Cooked the steak's on the oblique for 2 min. w/ hood closed, rotated steak's 90 deg., cooked for 2 more min.. Flipped them over and repeated on other side. Came out a perfect med. rare w / nice diamond pattern grill mark's.

On the side burner, I fixed some zucinni (sp) and red onion, sautee`d in olive with a ton of fresh garlic (oh yeah, I like garlic), fresh ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, kosher salt & tossed with freshly grated peccarino - romano cheese when it came off the heat. Acompanied with a salad of spring greens w/ homemade balsamic vinigarette, garlic bread toasted on the " D " and a glass of merlot. I think I'm in love again :oops: .

Dang, anybody notice the price of steak's lately, guess it might be because of fuel cost's, but they're sure going up, at least around here anyway.
Thank's for listening. YB2
Last edited by Yankee Bill on Thu May 20, 2004 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Thu May 20, 2004 10:47 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

HEY!!! Soundsl like a gold star evening!!

We're all so happy you got to massage your meat! :oops:

Yeah, fuels up. The cost of the feed is up. The cost to move the cattle, the meat and the refridgeration all contribute. Tweak those grill skills and make the most of every morsel (I'm gonna copy right that phrase!). Take heart in the dramatic difference grilling can make in almost all indredients. Try doing a pasta primevara by grilling the veggies first.
Oil, season, char quickly on high heat, remove and wrap in foil to hold OFF heat to continue cooking while the pasta finishes, chop, toss and serve.

A little fresh grated Reggiano, EVOO, coarse pepper and a great pinot grigiot.

YB

Post Fri May 21, 2004 12:27 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

YB,

I'm afraid I'm guilty of massaging my meat a bit too often :roll: .

The pasta primevera sound's great. Unfortunately, I've been on the " fatboy progran " lately and have to limit the carb's ( which suck's since I'm Italian ). When I do give in and decide to indulge, I usually go all out make a gravy ( sauce for the non-transplanted type southern's) with all the sausage and meatball's etc.

I have done the grilled vegies that way and had them as a kind of grilled salad or anti-pasto and they've been very good. All the best, YB2

Post Fri May 21, 2004 8:50 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB2 those steaks sound wonderful as well as all the trimmin's. Sounds like your cookin' like a pro on that new machine! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Now if I could only see a photo, it's not you, I fuss at everyone to take & post pictures! :lol:

Post Fri May 21, 2004 11:22 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's Bob,

Didn't get to use it tonight, wife made other dinner plan's......we had a little chat :evil: Ah, but the weekend is here :lol: . Wish I could grant your request for a picture, but I'm a bit embarassed :oops: to admit that I'm not what one would call the most computer savy person in the world, nor, do I have a digital camera. Still a bit in the stone age I guess. YB2

Return to General Discussion