Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Relighting charcoal and mop sauce

Relighting charcoal and mop sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 20, 2004 1:54 pm
sross rare
rare

1.Hey! I've always let charcoal burn all the way down so that I can start clean with an empty grill each time. Now I'm starting to think that I should relight the used coals. Does anybody do this?

2. What's everybody's favorite mop sauce for ribs?

I'm having one of those weeks where I can't wait to have time to grill on the weekend. Oh wait, I feel like that every week.
Scott
3-2-1!

Post Fri May 21, 2004 2:08 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey scott, Weber actually recommends not letting the charcoal burn down all the way for a very good reason. You don't want to remove the food residue between grilling sessions. The residue actually protects the grill grates from wear and tear when not in use. I have and due reuse the charcoal after grilling by shutting all vents and smothering the fire. You want to burn in and clean the grates at your next grilling session. As for the mop, many people on the board prefer apple cider and/or apple cider vinegar. Of course beer will always work well. In addition, you might try this basic (universal) mop sauce:

1 pint Water (2 cups)
½ C Lemon juice
1 t Salt
½ C Butter (1 stick)

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri May 21, 2004 3:52 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Scott,

Pick up a copy of Steve's Sauces and Rubs book. There's a lot of good stuff in there. One I like in particular is the Cider Squirt. I use this on pork and chicken and it's awsome. It has apple cider, cider vinegar, bourbon, worcestershire sauce as well as some other ingredients. I don't remember them off the top off my head, but trust me you will like this.

RichD

Post Fri May 21, 2004 5:28 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

I like the mustard-vinegar mop out of the "Barbecue Bible".[/u]

Post Mon May 24, 2004 5:04 pm

I, too, shut down the vents and let the coals go out. Once everything's cool, I separate the coals from the ashes and put them in a 3-gallon metal bucket with a tight-fitting lid. Saturday I used these leftover coals to cook a steak - they lit quickly and burned just like new ones. I probably have 10 pounds left, so my next all-day smoking session will be done with recycled charcoal.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:03 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I may as well chime in here also, but Chagan has provided most of the same advice.

After grilling, I just close up the grill – that’s after I hit the hot grate a couple of times with a wire brush – and let the charcoals go out. At the next grilling, I just pile some fresh charcoal on top, and dump the lit charcoals from the chimney starter on. Seems to work just fine. I do use lump charcoal.

As for a mop sauce, your imagination is the limit. Just avoid sauces with sugar because that will burn. Here are some ideas: Use about a cup of beer and a cup of chicken stock and add a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil and a couple of tablespoons of red rub. Add a couple of tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce (to taste). Instead of beer and broth, use a cup of cider or white wine vinegar and about a half-cup of water. Warm the sauce in a small saucepan and apply every 30 minutes or so.

Return to General Discussion