Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ribs on a gas grill Question

Ribs on a gas grill Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 20, 2004 12:53 pm
jmk

GRILLING GURUS,

I make Baby Back ribs on a gas grill. I Boil them for about 30 minutes and place a rub on them(on of Steve's) I them place them on the grill for about 3 1/2 hours at about 275 degrees Indirect Heat. I even place a tin of water on the grill...BUT, The outside is a dry...the inside is fine. How do i get a completly moist set of ribs?

Thanx

Post Thu May 20, 2004 1:16 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Stop boiling them. Boiling dilutes the flavor and seems to actually contribute to the meat being dry and chewy.

Your time on grill is a bout right, but try just the rub and indrect heat, mopping every 30-45 min. till the meat just starts to pull back from the bone.

Then toss on the direct heat to crisp up just a bit.

This is when you apply sauce if desired. Brush it on lightly and let set up for a few minutes.

Take off the fire and let 'em rest 10 min. or so then dig in.

YB

Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:56 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

You can also start them off by wrapping them in foil and cooking indirectly for about 1-2 hours. Then unwrap them and finish them off. I always have moist ribs on the gas grill this way. Don't know that the foil is neccessary, but I think it helps to lock in the moisture.
I only do it this way on the gas grill though. The smoker is a different story.

RichD

Post Thu May 20, 2004 9:36 pm
spfranz well done
well done

When you boil your ribs, take a look at the water. See all that stuff in it? That's juice and flavor that just came out of your ribs. Not a good thing.

As far as dry on the outside goes, a little bit of bark is a good thing. But, if you or your family don't like them that way, wrap them in foil at the very end. The steam will soften that outside up.

As far as foil wrapping goes, the most common method is the 3-2-1 method (for spares, not baby backs). 3 hours in the smoker without foil, 2 hours with foil, and the last hour without. This allows the initial smoke penetration, then the foil does a little steaming, then the last hour helps put a little bark back on.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 9:38 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I should also mention that baby backs don't really NEED to be low and slowed. I've had great results direct grilling them at a more medium temperature. They are a much leaner cut and do quite well that way.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 10:33 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We have "BBQ" rest. in the area that seasons his baby backs and bakes them off in the oven @ 325 and then plunges them into a doctored commercial bottled sauce. When he gets an order he takes out a rack shakes off the excess and grills them on a gas brazier to crisp them up. They never see smoke or charcoal. I have heard people say they can taste the "smoke" in his ribs. (Liquid maybe!)

Personally, they taste like the stuff in the bag at Sam's or a McRib!
YB

Post Sat May 22, 2004 5:32 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

OK.. The KEY to good baby backs on a grill (direct heat) is the rub. Rub your ribs real good at least 24 hours ahead of time and then wrap with foil or saran wrap. The rub will break down the meat and create it's own marinade.

Have your butcher remove the membrane from the bone side of the ribs for you, or you can do it yourself. If you don't, your ribs will be MUCH tougher!

Now, after 24 hours, preheat your grill to medium heat. oil the grate and then place the ribs, bone side down, on the grate. watch for flare ups, and move the ribs when needed, however keep the bone side down for 30 minutes or so. after 30 minutes, flip and do the same on the meat side. You'll really have to watch for flare ups. after 30 minutes, you should see the meat pull away from the end of the bones. That's how you know the ribs are done. If you have time, wrap the ribs in foil and turn the grill down to low. place the ribs in foil back on the grill for another 30 minutes.

I haven't found a better way to cook them! I love it! The ribs can be pulled apart with your hands . No sauce needed.

Return to General Discussion