Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled Pork and shinnin the grill'

Pulled Pork and shinnin the grill'

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 10:20 pm
Big D well done
well done

Well I will confess, I have never done my own pulled pork before, despite being an avid q'er since 1985 (birthday).. but since its a longweekend and I got my new Big D ... I think I might try the Dry Beef Ribs from HTF since I have always done my own receipe for 'Wet' Ribs

I was just wonderin what the best temp range I should have for a nice slow smoke taste... bout a 6 pound boston butt

Also, I always brush the grill well and use olive oil before cooking, etc... but of course somebars are blackening from smoke and use... (not that I mind that much, it ads character) but just wanted to know if anyone had anyreally good homemade receipes for makin her all shinny and new... gosh I love my new baby

Post Wed May 19, 2004 11:24 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Big D,

As you can tell from my previous whinning I haven't got to use my Gold D yet, so I can't offer any qualified suggestion's for cleaning it . I might be able to offer a couple of suggestions for smokin some butt's though. Bare in mind that these times & temps are from cooking on my water smoker, but I would imagine the times should be comparable if you maintain constant temps. I've never done any smoking on a gas grill.

I used to try to maintain a temps of 200 - 225 and smoke for longer periods, but as of late, I've been smoking butt's and rib's @ 240 - 250 which has decreased the overall cooking time significantlly. And quite honestly, I don't notice any change in the quality of the finished product, though some die in the wool Q'ers may dispute that fact.
Here's a rough guide you might try:

Maintain temp @ 240 - 250 roughly estimate cooking time at about 70 minutes per lb..
When meat reaches the below listed INTERNAL temp, remove from heat & let rest 1/2 hr. before pulling. If it is done sooner you can double wrap the butt in heavy duty foil, wrap that in a big bath towel and place in an empty cooler (no ice), this will hold at pulling / serving temp for 4 or 5 hrs.

For easily pullable pork, remove when internal temp is 190 deg.

for both a sliceable & pullable butt, remove when internal temp is 185 deg.

for sliceable only (like a roast) , remove when internal temp is 180 deg.

(for pullable...test by shredding a small piece w/ a fork in the meaty part of butt before removing). Whatever temp you remove at, LET MEAT REST 1/2 HR. before pulling or slicing.

You should be able to use this info as a guide for a starting point, but monitor you times & temps carefully as they may differ some on the grill. Hope this may be of some help.

HAPPY SMOKIN' YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Thu May 20, 2004 2:05 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

I don't know about a Gold D, but I have an old Char-Broil two burner (front and back) and I set it to high until I see smoke and then turn off one burner. I let it drop to medium-low on the guage and I set the Boston Butt on the off side and smoke it for right at six hours. I mop and add two handfuls of soaked wood chips every hour. At six hours its' right about 190 degrees. That being said, I'm not exactly sure of the temperature of the grill. :oops: When I bought a good thermometer to stick in the lid, it sprung a leak and I can't buy replacement parts for it anymore.

Also, about beef ribs, I dry somked some last night for the first time, and they were VERY fatty. Is that normal? If so I'm sticking to spareribs.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 2:59 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Big D,
As far as cleaning, I use Goo Gone BBQ cleaner (available at Home Depot) or Charbroil BBQ cleaner (available at Lows). Both of these products work wonders on smoke stained objects. The stuff just runs off the metal, and all you have to do is whip it.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:06 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

wilhinson,
Beef ribs must be cooked low and slow. As you mentioned above, they’re very fatty and not to mention tough (if not cooked right). I cook min in a smoker around 225 degrees for about 8-10 hours. The best test for doneness on these things is to pull a piece and actually taste it. If they’re cooked right, they’re so tasty and tender. They literally melt in your mouth. They will almost taste like they were braised in liquid (due to being bathed in their own fat through out the cooking time). Give them another chance.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 7:03 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Big D-
I hate to tell you this but for some parts like the grates, shiny is gone forever. It just the way the grill works, stainless does that with heat. You'll notice there is a heat shield inside the lid that keeps that from turning too. Thats what popped on mine and is did cause some uncleanable spots on my old lid. But after Weber sent me a new one and I get done making my mods (I think that that pig with wing hood ornament may be a must) who cares.
Also every so often take a fine nail and clean out the burner holes. I've found that they clog shut every so often but are simple to clean. Add it to your regiment.
My rule for my rig:
Outside shiny, Inside seasoned brown.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 8:16 am
Big D well done
well done

Thanks guys ;)

I dont mind the non-shiney.... it does add character... I will see if I can get some of that Goo-Gone for the weekend though as I am having a few people over (most noteably a very hot young lady whom I have been informed is a neat freak and will be very impressed if I have the place and grill very shinney... but should be even more impressed with my cooking ;) )

As for cooking temps I think I might try the lower range this time cause I have a nice long weekend and plenty of time to sit around and enjoy a few beer.... I'll just make sure I have plenty of hickory wood and beer and propane and it should be awesome

Return to General Discussion