Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First time grilling update

First time grilling update

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 11:32 am
Newgriller rare
rare

Yesterday I posted I was grilling for the first time. This is what happened.

I put the Match light charcoals into the grill and light them. After 20 minutes they were ashed over and I moved them around. I put the steaks on and in 30 minutes they were ready.

Now I found out I did a few things wrong.

1 I used match light which are ok, but not great. I bought on-line a Weber Chimney Starter and when it arrives I will buy Kingsford Regular Charcoals.

2 I didn't use enough charcoals. I put a single layer of charcoals and then built a pyramid. The Steaks should have taken only 20 minutes. In 30 minutes they were finally done.

3 When finish grilling I should have left open the damper lid and one touch ash remover open. When I went out this morning the charcoals were still in one piece but cold.

This was a good learning experience and next time I will grill better.

Happy grilling

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You got two out of three. :wink:

The chimney starter is a great switch! And you're correct about needing more charcoal for cooking steak. You probably had the correct amount for chicken, burgers & dogs, but steak needs a hot fire.

However, closing off your grill vents when you're through cooking is a good idea. It cuts the oxygen off to the fire and puts it out. Next time you grill, just dump the new lit charcoal out of the chimney on top of the old coals in your grill and you'll have that little bit extra fuel that you save each time.

How do you like your steaks cooked?

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:29 pm

Bob-Bqn

Thanks for the info and I like my steaks medium well.

New Griller

Post Wed May 19, 2004 6:56 pm
Big D well done
well done

I would say your first time was a huge success... you didn't need to throw out the food, but more importantly you were able to make an effective anaylsis of what went wrong and give great advice to your self on how to improve the situation....

I look forward to many more stories and hopefully a few pics... g'luck

Post Thu May 20, 2004 10:28 am
hotchef well done
well done

While it sounds like such a small thing, I was amazed at how much fuel I was saving when I started shutting off the vents immediately after I cooked every time. I would say I've probably got a 1/4 of a chimney starter left over every itme, which makes for a lot less fuel used. Also, it has worked great for me to close the vents because it seems to make it easier to fire them back up if for some reason you have to cook the food more. If the vents are left open, the coals continue to burn away and lose heat, but with no air they die. If its within a reasonable amount of time after closing, all you have to do is open the vents and lift the lid and they will heat back up enough for "emergency" cooking.

Hotchef

Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:25 am
TerpDave rare
rare

Newgriller,
Sounds like a good first start. The best way to get better is to grill and grill often. 3 times a week is not unreasonable. Closing the vents will save your fuel. Good luck with future endeavors.
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Return to General Discussion