Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Smoked Sausage?

BBQ Smoked Sausage?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 am
jamie

What is the best way to do this?

what brand/type of sausage?

Cooking Time?

Basting, should I drown them in sauce?

I just want to make this finger lickin good.
thanks for looking!

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:11 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Jamie! Take a moment to register and join us :)

I like Johnsonville myself, and they are currently one of Steven's sponsors. However, you can use any brand with the indirect method.

Set your grill up using the indirect method with a med to med-high heat and place the sausages (love bratwurst) over a drip pan. I like to season my bratwurst with a hint of curry. They will be done in about 25-30 minutes. Sausages have enough fat incorporated into the that you don't have to baste them. Some folks boil them in a marinade for 10 minutes or so brfore grilling to add flavor and reduce flare-ups, but you won't have flare-ups using the indirect method. The internal temperate should be at least 175 degrees.

Steven's Show 201 - High on Hog demonstrates how to grill bratwurst using both the direct and indirect methods. Catch it if you can.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:15 pm
BBQinFL rare
rare

Boil some Brats in beer that has butter and onions in it...

Then put them on the Grill to finish...

nuttin' like it... :D
ImageA pig serves no purpose in life other than to be delicious!

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:21 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Sausages are something that I normally put on the smoker sometime during a long smoking session (15 hours or so) for a little sample of what I am working toward. Since the smoker is at 200-250 degrees it usually takes about 30 minutes and I use some mop sauce on them about 1/2 to 3/4 through the cooking time.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 5:00 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I smoke fresh sausages all the time. They’re always a hit at every party I host. I usually use fresh raw sausages. My favorite kind is fresh chorizo. But I’ve also used spicy Italian sausages as well (use sweet if you don’t like spicy food). This is how I prepare them: I poke holes all over each link using a bamboo skewer, place them in a 225 degree smoker, and smoke them using Hickory or mesquite wood for 5-6 hours, or until internal temp of 180 degrees. I don’t use any mop on them, since sausages are usually fatty and they have plenty of juice on the inside. If you have a smoker, you’ve got to try this. They’re instant hit. And even if you don’t have a smoker, set up your grill for indirect grilling and try this (they don’t take as long to cook on a grill). Make sure you use some kind of wood chips or chunks. I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

Return to General Discussion