Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First time grilling

First time grilling

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 18, 2004 11:55 am
Newgriller rare
rare

Tonight will be the first time I use my Weber Grill. I am wondering if Kingsford Match Light is good charcoal. Also my Weber has a Char basket. Can I use this to light up the charcoal instead of a chimney starter.

Thank You in advance.

Post Tue May 18, 2004 1:22 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

New Griller,

Welcome to the fascinating world of cooking with real fire and smoke. Your Weber should serve you well. As for the Match light charcoal, I believe that is the stuff with chemicals in it so you can light it with a match, and most here would advise against using them for that reason – chemicals. Kingsford makes good plain charcoal briquettes, and most people would recommend those or best of all lump natural charcoal. I believe the Char-basket you are referring to may be Weber’s “Charcoal Briquette Fuel Holders.” I don’t believe that it would be easy to start a fire in them I highly recommend using a chimney starter and then dividing the lit briquettes between them.

Post Tue May 18, 2004 2:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Newgriller welcome to the board.

Pretreated charcoal can be convenient but I’ve not found consistent results with it. Depending on its age and exposure to the elements some of the chemicals can dissipate and you have to add more lighter fluid. I used to saturate my charcoal with lighter fluid but began using chimney starters last year. Might I say, there is quite a difference in the flavor of the food when you removed the petroleum. In the end it’s up to you which fuel fires your grill, but cleaner fuel means cleaner food and that somehow has to translate into healthier.

Enjoy the new grill! :D

Post Tue May 18, 2004 4:32 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I agree with the above. Regular Kingsford briquettes or natural lump charcoal is the way to go. Using a chimney starter is not difficult and I find it gives me the most consistent results.
I would not recomend Match Light or any other charcoal with a chemical starter in it. I feel that they impart flavor to the food that I do not want.

RichD

Post Wed May 19, 2004 2:26 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Newgriller,
Welcome to the group. Hopefully you'll stick around with us.
Another great thing about those Weber charcoal grills, your not limitted to actual charcoal.
Once you've gotten the hang of using charcoal, I recomend trying real hardwood chunks to cook over. You can't beat the flavor. Stay away from pine, cedar, and other evergreen woods. Beyond that though, most deciduous hardwoods like oak, hickory, mesquite,alder, fruit trees, and nut trees produce awesome flavors.
You can put these woods in your grill along with or instead of charcoal. Between Steven's books and this forum you can learn as much about that as you like whenever you feel ready.
In the meantime, I'd like to encourage you to try throwing some soaked wood chips on top of your coals for extra flavor.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 6:34 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Welcome aboard Newgriller! Lots of good advice for you in this thread, the best of which I concur, lose the Matchlight, get yourself some regular Kingsford and a chimney starter or 2 (you'll need more than one eventually, probably sooner than later). I also agree that lump and real wood are better than regular Kingsford briquettes but I think to keep things simple you should just stick with the Kinggsford because its more consistant than the other and therefore more predictable and easier to work with. Learn how much to use, how to pile it on the grill, heat zones etc with one fuel type before learning another. Plan to cook some different things using direct and indirect method for a couple of 22 pound bags. Once you understand how the fire and heat behaves with your grilll and vents, lid on and off etc, then learn a new fuel. HTH

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:06 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

If you follow the instuction book that comes with your Weber you'll be on the right track. Grilling is not an exact science, so experiment and have fun and eat well. Fuel supply has been well discussed so I'll put in my $.02 on other matters. Get a good instant read thermometer, it'll make you a better griller. I've gone back to the $5.00 jobbie from Wally World, I never fully trusted my Polder and it was way off.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri May 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

I've been real happy with my Polder. I wonder if you got a bad one or maybe just a bad probe.
You can always use icewater and boiling water (not at the same time :wink: ) to calibrate your thermometer.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:07 am
TerpDave rare
rare

Yeah I'm back after a 2 week Finals Sabatical. Newgriller, welcome to the boards. Like everyone else I recommend against MatchLight. It leaves the chemical residue YUCK. Good Ole Kingsford will do the trick with a chimney. If you want a really neat blowing fire, put match light in your chimney. Keep women and children back.
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Post Fri May 28, 2004 12:31 am
Vinsect well done
well done

TerpDave,

Is your signature quote by Bobby from King of The Hill?

"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Anybody here fans of King of the Hill? Its a cartoon by the creators of Beavis and Butthead. The star of the show is Hank Hill who sells propane and propane accessories for a living in Arlen Texas. Hank is dedicated to propane and then some. In one of the best episodes Hank has to go out of town and while he's gone his wife Peggy and son Bobby accidentally discover burgers cooked over charcoal at a neighbors barbecue. They become instant converts to charcoal and start using charcoal behind Hanks back like teenagers smoking cigarettes behind their parents back. Hank Hill may very well be one of my role models but if I were his son Bobby, I'd sneak a steak over charcoal while he wasn't home too.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 7:35 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Vinsect-
Eventhough I'm not a big fan of the movie that quote is from Pulp Fiction, the very begining of the movie. It's a Samuel L. Jackson line.

I'm more of a Simpson's fan (nut actually, I have a shrine and everything)

Remember the one with the BBBBQ?
The extra B is for Beer, the fourth was a typo.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:12 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Pulp Fiction's been on TV lately. I'll have to watch for that line. Samuel L Jackson takes a bite out of a guys burger before killing him right?
Was the "BBBQ" from a Simpson's episode? I love it, an extra B for beer.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bingo
I'm a Simpsons nut.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:57 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

I'll have to start Tivo'ing the simpsons. I love it too but haven't watched it as much in a while.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:28 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Newgriller

Welcome to the board. You'll find out, as I have, that there are alot of good people on this board. You'll learn alot here, & through Steve's books. Happy grillin & smokin.

Return to General Discussion