Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion bacon wrapped chicken

bacon wrapped chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 15, 2004 8:00 am
ryno23 medium-rare
medium-rare

I've heard alot of people who wrap there chicken or pork chops with bacon when they grill does anyone have any receipies for this. Thanks,

Post Sat May 15, 2004 11:01 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve used bacon on chicken, turkey, beef and even Brussels sprouts. I’ve never used it on pork (since I usually buy fatty cuts of pork). You have to be very careful when using bacon on the grill. It burns very easily. Also the bacon dripping can star a fire very fast. The best way to use bacon is with indirect grilling. You can wrap anything with bacon and it will taste good.
Here is one of my favorite recipes:
-Chicken wings (drumstick part only)
-Rub: brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper to taste, granulated onion and garlic powder, cayenne pepper to taste, dried thyme, and lemon pepper. I usually use equal parts of the mild spices. The amount is based on how many wings you’re cooking.
-Thick sliced bacon (this is a must)-thin slices of bacon tend to burn fast. Use half a strip of bacon for each wing.
- 1/4 cup of Italian dressing and 2 tbs of soy sauce -this is enough for 12-15 wings, adjust based on the number of wings.
- Equipments: metal skewers or grill backset-this will allow quick flipping of a large number of wings at the same time.
Wash and dry the drumsticks. Combine the rub ingredients and apply a generous amount of the rub all over the wings. Pour the Italian dressing and soy sauce mixture over the wings, toss well and refrigerate for few hours. Mean while heat up the grill. If you’re using skewers, then just place them high above the fire and you don’t have to use the indirect method. This also works if you’re using a grill basket. If you’re not using any equipments, then set up the grill for indirect method. Wrap each wing with half slice of bacon. If you’re not using a skewer, fasten the bacon with well-soaked toothpick. Cook the wings until internal temp reaches 180 degrees. The meat will also pull away from the bones when the wings are done.
This recipe will also work for any part of the chicken. I just like the wing-drumsticks. They just look so good all wrapped up with bacon.
I hope you’ll like it.

Post Mon May 17, 2004 7:43 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with Z. Almost anything wrapped in baccon is good. Like Emeril says "Pork fat rules". Thats basically what you're doing when wrapping food in baccon. Adding fat, and salt. So anything that you'd marinate you could also wrap. I too add italian dressing to keep the baccon from getting too crispy, but I brush it on as I cook. Also stress indirect! Major fireballs possible here. I've had times where I've used thick toothpicks or skewers to hold the baccon on, soak them first to keep them from burning.
Any fowl works great. I've done countless game birds like phesant and quail this way, and if you lightly smoke a goose breast this way I swear it tastes just like steak!
Also try veggies and fish.

Great trick.

Return to General Discussion