Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Room Temperature Steaks

Room Temperature Steaks

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Good Day Steven,

I've read that all meats intended for grilling... with the exception of poultry and ground beef... should be left out to come up to room temperature before grilling. This was to speed the cooking process. Their idea was ice cold meat would take longer to come up to cooking temp therfore a longer cooking time and a drier outcome. Is this accurate? I guess it makes sense, but I wanted to check with you.

Also, I'll apologize upfront... I'm new here and will probably be a frequent flyer!!! I hope I don't ask too many newbie questions!!!

Thank You,

Terri M.

~☆PORK RULES☆~

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll leave your questions for Steven, but welcome, Terri!

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:18 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Betty,

I recommend keeping steaks chilled until the moment they go on the grill, and I never visited a great steakhouse that did otherwise.

Room temperature meat is a breeding ground for bacteria. When you're grilling over a 600 degree fire, the amount of time it takes to warm a refrigerated steak to room temperature is negligible.

Please play it safe and thanks for writing!

SR

Post Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:13 pm
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

Just read a recent article in Americas Test Kitchen, they started cooking steaks that were still frozen, and say you can get a great sear on the outside without overcooking the inside when you cook frozen steaks
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:39 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nick wrote:
Just read a recent article in Americas Test Kitchen, they started cooking steaks that were still frozen, and say you can get a great sear on the outside without overcooking the inside when you cook frozen steaks

I've actually tried that a few times, in fact. After a couple of tries I wound up with an almost-perfect rare steak with a really dark crust on it. The only drawback I found was that frozen steaks were a bit tougher to season as the seasoning sometimes drops off and doesn't penetrate the meat very much. But other than that, it seemed to work OK.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:15 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I prefer not to freeze any meat if I can avoid it. Freezing denatures the texture. A hot grill and the skill this barbecue community possesses are enough to give you a great seared crust and rare interior. Nuf said!

Return to Ask Steven