Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven use of eucalyptus wood

use of eucalyptus wood

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm
olonoff raw
raw

Steven,

Do you have any experience using eucalyptus wood for grilling or smoking? Can you recommend it? Thanks
Adam Olonoff

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:53 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Adam,

I've had experience using eucalyptus for grilling. It's a popular fuel in Colombia, where they use it to grill chiguero (capybara--a large edible rodent--it tastes better than it sounds).

I haven't tried smoking with it yet. Has anyone else out there?

I'm also thinking an eucalyptus plank would be awesome for salmon.

Thanks for writing.

SR

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For grilling, I've heard that eucalyptus is OK. However, for slow smoking I wouldn't recommend it because of its high oil content. I tried it once and the ribs I cooked tasted like they were basted with turpentine. The garbage disposal that is my neighbor's dog wouldn't even touch them.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to Ask Steven