Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven smokers

smokers

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:53 pm
joeybbq raw
raw

hi steve big fan. 2 questions, I have kettle grill but want to upgrade to an actual smoker. if you had 3to500$ to spend would you get offset or bullet smoker and can you recommend one? Also, I notice you don't inject your big meats (butt,brisket,turkey) are you against it, is it just for competition and or does take away from real flavor of meat? Look forward to your response.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:34 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Joey,

Two options for you as a step up from a kettle grill in the price range you ask for.

A bullet smoker (aka water smoker) in the style of the Weber Smoky Mountain

Or an upright barrel smoker in the style of the Pit Barrel Cooker from Colorado.

We have both at Barbecue University and both do an awesome job.

I sometimes inject meat (see How to Grill), but I guess I'm more apt to rub or brine it. For me the key is to keep shaking it up--use different seasoning techniques from time to time to keep your 'que tasting fresh and interesting.

Let me know how it works out with the smoker. (Would love to see photos.)

Grill on!

SR

Return to Ask Steven