Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Dietary Restrictions and Grilling class

Dietary Restrictions and Grilling class

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Mon May 26, 2014 10:37 pm
UNCMo96 rare
rare

For your barbecue University class, how do you handle people with dietary restrictions, specifically pork (Jewish and Muslim people)? Do they sit out on the sessions with pork or do you offer an alternative meat for the dish? Just curious.

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Good question. When we know ahead of time, we try to accommodate some dietary restrictions (for example, food allergies, like peanuts or shellfish). In that case, we try to prepare one portion of the final without the offending ingredient.

However, because beef and pork play such a major role in American, European, and Asian barbecue, there's really no way to get around them in the course. We do make poultry, lamb, seafood, and vegetable dishes in class, but you're pretty much guaranteed to find beef and pork every day, too.

But with 8 to 10 dishes prepared every day, there's always something plenty of food to eat and plenty of techniques to learn about (that you can apply to none pork or beef dishes).

Thanks for asking.

SR

Return to Ask Steven