Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Built in grill for indirect grilling use

Built in grill for indirect grilling use

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am

Steven,

I emailed you a few years ago for advice on a gas grill, we went with the Vermont Castings and love it. We have used it so much that we have to replace all the burners.

We are on to a new project, and I wanted to see if I could get your opinion on another type of grill.

I am going to build a grilling area with a roof that will house our gas grill, a clay wood fired oven and a built in charcoal/wood grill.

One of our friends is a potter and will help us with the clay oven (her previous one is the pic below), but for the charcoal/wood grill I am at a loss for design. My wife and I are currently using a medium sized Weber I found. She uses this mostly for indirect grilling and is afraid that the grill I make will not be suitable for that.

I was planning on using stone for the base but I am at a loss for plans on what the actual design and material would be. Should the bottom be steel, what is an appropriate cover, what size should the vents be, will it need a chimney etc.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

clay oven.jpg
clay oven.jpg (170.46 KiB) Viewed 661 times

My wife wants me to put a webber in the grilling station because she is familiar using it. I was thinking more of the style I have attached below that I can make by hand, or buy one and modify it with vents and a hood.

IMG_20140513_124750_698.jpg
IMG_20140513_124750_698.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 560 times

This picture is in the style I want to make it all look like.

outdoor-kitchens2_lgsq.jpg
outdoor-kitchens2_lgsq.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Todd,

Sorry for very late response. If you wanted the grill for direct grilling, using the oven for indirect grilling, I'd suggest you go with an Argentinean gaucho grill design: fire box at the bottom, adjustable grate over it that raises and lowers with a flywheel or adjustable grate racks.

Because you want to be able to indirect grill on it, too, I'd suggest starting with a Weber kettle grill (or Ranch grill) or a Charbroil CB940 and building the body of the grill into your outdoor kitchen. These grills are designed and engineered for indirect grilling. Or leave an opening to roll in a kamado cooker, like a Big Green Egg.

Your drawings look fabulous. Can't wait to see pix of the finished grill house.

SR

Return to Ask Steven