Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven hog legs

hog legs

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

hi i was in pigen forge a few weeks ago and ate at bennetts bbq we had something theay called a hog leg the watress said she thought it was center cut pork shank nun of the meat markets around here knows it can you shed some light on it for me i would love to get some for my smoker but cant find it
TIMS BBQ

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:14 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I don't know whether to thank you for alerting me to a new BBQ specialty or blame you for adding another stop on my already ridiculously overbooked schedule. (Just kidding--I always love adding new dishes to my BBQ must-try bucket list. Keep 'em coming.)

I just got off the phone with both branches of Bennett's and here's what I was told. Imagine a whole pork shoulder: the top is the Boston butt; the bottom is the shoulder ham (sometimes called the picnic ham). As you know, the latter has a piece of shank (leg) attached, which gives it a triangular shape. That piece is your hog leg.

If you want to read about a related cut (but prepared in a completely different manner), check out the Schweinhaxen (spit-roasted ham hocks--a Munich specialty) describe in Planet Barbecue on page 245.

As for me, guess I'll be heading to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, TN, pretty soon.

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

thank you steven for the answer im going out payday and find some the pices at bennetts we had was the most tender and best tasting bbq i have had in a long time other then your recipes and mine of course lol i dont have planet bbq i have most of the rest of your books ... i have to save my pennys these days for things i want,i have bbq usa how to bbq sauces maranades and rubbs ribs ribs ribs thats my favorite and i dont have it in front of me the beer can chicken book lol i draw a check now and things like books come last but ill keep saveing have a great weekend and god bless
TIMS BBQ

Return to Ask Steven