Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Smokey's Southern Barbeque - Chesterton, IN

Smokey's Southern Barbeque - Chesterton, IN

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
outagas well done
well done

I chose to detour off I-94 this evening to avoid a traffic back-up. As I cruised along U.S. 20, I slammed on my brakes for a quick U-turn after blowing by Smokey's Southern Barbeque on an empty stomach. By the time I got back there I was fully committed to a pulled pork sandwich, only to find them closed. I had to settle for sliders at White Castle.

Is anyone familiar with Smokey's? I want to know if it is worth another detour.

Jim

Smokey's Southern Barbeque
375 East U.S. 20
Chesterton, IN 46304
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:03 pm
outagas well done
well done

Since no one else has made it, I made the sacrifice and stopped at Smokey's last night.

I ordered a jumbo pulled pork sandwich ($4.25) and a half slab of baby backs ($10.95) for carry-out. I had the sandwich for lunch today and the ribs for dinner tonight. Both were very good even after being reheated in the microwave. Good sides, too - I chose red beans & rice and pasta salad.

I recommend Smokey's if you are passing Michigan City, IN and are hungry for something other than fast food. Smokey's is located on U.S. 20 between exits 26 and 34 off I-94. It probably added 15 minutes to my trip.

If you decide to stop any time soon, I suggest taking exit 40 instead of exit 34. There is currently a punative detour to East-bound I-94 at exit 34.

Smokey's definitely has better barbeque than any chains I've eaten at in a long time.

Joe Bob says "Check it out."
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Return to Best BBQ Joint