Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Hondo's in Fredericksberg, TX

Hondo's in Fredericksberg, TX

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:31 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Stopped in and ate at Hondo's in Fredericksberg Saturday night. For those who don't know, Hondo is responsible for Luckenbach Texas's fame. His daughter runs the restaurant in Fredericksberg. We had a great time there. I had a Chili Chese burger which was great. They use Terlingua type Chili (Hondo also used to be a judge at that event) and they form their patties like donuts. That is the way I usually make mine, after reading about that in one of Steve's book. I thought that was pretty cool. My wife had the Chicken Fried Steak. We both thought it was pretty good, but were unhappy with the gravy. They use pobalno peppers in their gravy. While it has an interesting taste, I don't think a classic should be tampered with. We were also lucky enough to see Mike Blakely and John A. Martinez play that night. All in all it was a great experience, and if it isn't quite BBQ, the hamburgers are good and the place is worth checking out.

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Oh yeah, I almost forgot....Hondo's has ABTs on their menu, although they didn't call them that. I think they were just called stuffed jalepenos. I must have overlooked them, but some people next to us got them as an appetizer (6 or 8, can't remember) and even served them in a chili pepper grill. Just thought I'd share that bit with you guys.

Return to Best BBQ Joint