Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Gruene, Texas

Gruene, Texas

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:20 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Just got back from a 4 day vacation, part of which we spent in Gruene, floating the river and drinking lots of Lone Star. The first night, we ate at Janie's Table, which has been, but will no longer be, a tradition for us. We have eaten there the last two times we went, and enjoyed it, but may have been under the influence a little bit. Not this time. I ordered the brisket with ribs. The brisket was tender and could be cut with a fork. But is was very dry and flavorless. The ribs had not pulled back from the edge, were dried out and also had no flavor. I had a side of potato salad that was very unmemorable and beans, which was the best part of the meal. That does not say a lot. They were very salty. My wife also had the brisket and fries. She made a comment during dinner that is was nowhere near as good as mine (made me :D from ear to ear) They even managed to ruin the onions that were served on the side. It seemed like they served the outer skin part. You know, the part you usually peel off and throw away.

Second night we ate ate at the Gruene River Grill Which was highly recommended by the locals. we had the Shrimp Won Tons, which reminded me a lot of ABTs, just wrapped in won tons. My wife had the Filet Gorgonzola and I had the Chicken Fried Steak. Both were excellent. The service was outstanding. I would definitely go back.

I know that these are two different types of restaurants, but skip Janies Table if you are ever in Gruene.

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:02 pm
outagas well done
well done

Griffin,

I made a trek to Gruene several years ago on a business trip to San Antonio. I read about the barbeque in Southern Living and had brisket and sausage at a place with picnic tables on a deck over the river.

Great little town.

Jim
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Return to Best BBQ Joint