Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint NC BBQ Lexington vs Lancaster's

NC BBQ Lexington vs Lancaster's

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:14 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

We lived in Mooresville, NC for years. We started out at Lancaster's when it was just a carry out only. As they grew, and moved, we stayed with them. They grew even more. They are great.

Then after moving here, Hillsborough, NC, there was all of this talk of Lexington BBQ. Well, we stopped a couple of weeks ago to give it a try, the original Lexington BBQ joint. Well, that was our first and last. It is not that great in our opinion.

We will take Lancaster's BBQ any day over Lexington BBQ.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Bill

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:58 pm
NC_BBQ raw
raw

I agree with you!! Lexington #1 is way over rated!!
NC_BBQ

“If you are looking you aint a cooking”

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:35 pm
GOAT raw
raw

I agree with you "wholeheartedly" and I live in Lexington NC ! ( I'm agreeing with the fact tha Lexington #1 is way over rated).

I would sugest that you give a place called "SPEEDYS" a try sometime when you are passing through. It's located on "old hwy 52" heading north towards Winston Salem. It's about a mile from "Lexington #1". If you can't find it, just stop and ask anyone. If you're getting a BBQ sandwich, get a "course chopped" sandwich and if you like "sweat tea" order that also. You'll get a WHOLE PITCHER of tea, just for you, at your table.

Just worth a try if you're passing through........

Have fun.....

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board GOAT! :D

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:08 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

GOAT wrote:
I agree with you "wholeheartedly" and I live in Lexington NC ! ( I'm agreeing with the fact tha Lexington #1 is way over rated).

I would sugest that you give a place called "SPEEDYS" a try sometime when you are passing through. It's located on "old hwy 52" heading north towards Winston Salem. It's about a mile from "Lexington #1". If you can't find it, just stop and ask anyone. If you're getting a BBQ sandwich, get a "course chopped" sandwich and if you like "sweat tea" order that also. You'll get a WHOLE PITCHER of tea, just for you, at your table.

Just worth a try if you're passing through........

Have fun.....

Welcome, and thanks for the input. I will try to remember that the next time through.

Bill

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:25 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

GOAT wrote:
I would sugest that you give a place called "SPEEDYS" a try sometime when you are passing through.

Welcome aboard, GOAT.

While my family aren't planning a trip to NC in the near future, we'll be sure to keep this place in mind if we travel near there. I love trying new places. (The kids, OTOH, . . . :wink: )

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm
wscato medium-rare
medium-rare

Lancaster's is good. Better than Bubba's here in Charlotte. There is a new place in South Charlotte called Elliot's and I think they give Lancasters's a run for the money. I too remember when Lancaster was the Block building that is now the Restrroms and waiting area.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:45 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

wscato wrote:
Lancaster's is good. Better than Bubba's here in Charlotte. There is a new place in South Charlotte called Elliot's and I think they give Lancasters's a run for the money. I too remember when Lancaster was the Block building that is now the Restrroms and waiting area.

What you remember as the restrooms and waiting area was the building when they moved from Plaza Drive on up the road. I am talking back in the late 80's early 90's.....

Bill

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:57 pm
wscato medium-rare
medium-rare

Was coming home a different way today and noticed Lancaster's has opened a new location in Huntersville. It's in the old Puckett's Country Store/Gas Station of of Beatties Ford Rd.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:53 pm
TMF rare
rare

I guess i will have to be the one to disagree about Lexington BBQ. I saw a show on PBS where some guy went around trying different BBQ joints and when he was at Lexington he said to ask for chunky brown. It.s not on the menu, but i ask for it and i thought (and i still do) that it was the best i ever had. I live in Greensboro and if i'am in the mood for BBQ that's where i'am going. 2nd i would have to give to Bill Ellis BBQ in wilson.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board TMF! :D

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:34 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcom aboard, TMF.

Rob

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:43 pm
hawkman raw
raw

Living here in Lexington, NC, BBQ CAPITAL OF THE WORLD, I may tend to be a bit biased. I guess it is what you are used to but for me it is Lexington style all the way. I have tried others & will again, especially if they are recommended here. With 20+ bbq restaurants here locally, there are many different styles of "Lexington style" to choose from. Wood, gas, or electric cooked, and although basically the same ingredients, everyone has their own sauce recipe. I have tried most of them but my personal favorite is Cook's BBQ off of Hiway 8 between Lexington & Southmont. It is a little more out of the way but to me that only adds to its appeal. Glad I found this site & please consider this an invitation to our 23rd annual Barbecue Festival, Oct. 21, 2006. Come try it for yourselves & enjoy the festivities. www.barbecuefestival.com
There is room on this Earth for all of Gods creatures...Right between the frenchfries and the hushpuppies.

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:22 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board hawkman! :D

Feel free to share your Lexington experiences in BBQ any time.

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:22 am
Brentk rare
rare

I have been meaning to try Lancaster's ever since this post got started.

By way of background, I have eaten BBQ all over the state of NC and enjoy both Eastern and Lexington styles - I guess that makes me wishy-washy when it comes to BBQ flame wars in this state but so be it.

Since Lexington #1 is among my top five, I thought Lancaster's must be pretty good to get this kind of accolade.

So here are my thoughts.

First, I was really surprised by the atmosphere. The place seems more like a NASCAR themed chain restaurant than a BBQ joint. Since I'm not a big NASCAR fan and I avoid chains, that was a strike against it. But, since all I really care about is the food, I can live with that if that works for them.

Second, when you look through the menu, you will see that the place is really a full service restaurant that happens to serve BBQ. Perhaps it started out as a BBQ joint, but it grew beyond that. None of my other favorites are anything other than BBQ joints so that was another strike. But, again, I'll approach this with an open mind.

So lets get to the food. I had the BBQ dinner, with slaw and onion rings. Not traditional, but I love good onion rings and these were pretty good. The batter was relatively thin and the rings had a good crunch. I really enjoyed the slaw, too. It was advertised as BBQ slaw, which I presumed meant that it would be vinegar based with BBQ sauce, but this was a yellow, mustard based concoction that I really liked.

Now for the Q. I'd give the Q a B+. It didn't crack my top five, but it was tasty. The meat was moist and looked good; the meat was not pulverised and you could see some burnt ends chopped in. I liked that you could get a hot sauce - kind of like pico de gallo - and mix it in. That was not traditional but it was a good touch. The drawbacks, for me, were that the meat lacked texture. It was very moist, but I like my burnt ends to crunch and contrast with the tender meat and, here, the burnt ends added visual delight but nothing to that texture. Also, the meat lacked a good smokey flavor which, to me, is something I seek and only comes from cooking the Q using traditional log burning techniques.

Overall, a good experience and I would return. But not before I go to Lexington #1 and get me a tray prepared outside brown.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint