Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint best bbq in virginia

best bbq in virginia

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:51 pm
hitescapes

best bbq in va in my opinion in in the little small of South Hill, VA. on highway 58 called
Wilson's BBQ. Meat will melt in your mouth and the homemade sauce, welllllllll what can i say

Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:31 am

Wilson's does have good food... Unfortunately, the service was horrendous!! I don't know if the servers are overworked, underpaid or what, but the attitude from our waitress made our dinner very tense and uncomfortable. She was irritated, rushed and rude!! :x I can't say it was just a bad day. My FIL visited Wilson's about seven years ago and the only things he remembered were the "good BBQ" and "service less than desirable." It's a shame!! My advice, yes, stop at Wilson's, but get it to go!! Next time, I think we'll try the little place across the street called S&S...maybe their service is a bit, scratch that, a whole lot better!!!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:58 pm
stickman medium
medium

I recently went to Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg and thought it was pretty good. The food didn't make me have a religious experience, but it was a fun place to eat and the ribs were tasty.

You can also see the ovens in the smokehouse out back - it must be one of the best smelling buildings in the state!

Stickman

Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:38 am
mding38926

I would definitely suggest Dixie bones in Woodbridge, VA. Their website is www.dixiebones.com and they are located on the corner of Route 1 and Occoquan Road.

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:21 pm

When we go home we always go to S&S instead of Wilson's. Service at Wilson's has always been less that poor. The bbq at S&S is excellent and the service is great. Their sauce is just as good as Wilson's and the pit is right on you left as you enter and there is always meat on. Well worth stoping in for a good meal.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:35 am
502mids well done
well done

I believe Virginia's new governor had his Inaugural brunch at Pierce's (I wonder if they jumped the fence from I-64?).
Ya gonna eat that?

Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:32 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not impressed!
Been at least 5-6 times.(Williamsburg)

Meat was mushy.
Staff was very curt, even though not busy.
I almost apologized for bothering them. NOT!

Condiment stations were messy and just name brand stuff.

Coleslaw has had an "old cabbage" off taste more than once.

But I'm gonna give another try each and every time we're in W-burg. (it's become a trad. y'know)

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:19 am
chunk well done
well done

have any of you tried the mighty mini kitchen in leesburg? the guy who rents the space goes by b'z bbq. it is quite authentic tasting and is the first bbq i've had that tasted like it was cooked by someone who loves q.

the only problem is that it's an outdoor resturant and is closed if the weather is poor. also ribs are only served on friday's and saturday's. here's his website. i would call ahead if the weather is questionable.
bbq galore bar-b-chef, charbroil silver smoker, weber smokey mountain, weber one touch silver, and weber smokey joe.

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 am
chunk well done
well done

i went to a bbq joint last night in hamilton, va that is not your "typical" bbq resturant. sure they offer ribs, chicken, pork, and brisket . and the ribs and chicken are presented like you'd expect, but the pork and brisket are put in dishes you'd never expect. for example i had their fajati dish with brisket (also available with pork) which came with slaw, bbq beans, cheese, onion, and salsa for sides. one of their specials last night was a monte christo sandwich with brisket. they wife had a steak salad with brisket.

check it out if your in the area, but be warned to get there early. they only make so much food and when the run out they close.

here's a review from a local newspaper.
bbq galore bar-b-chef, charbroil silver smoker, weber smokey mountain, weber one touch silver, and weber smokey joe.

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:41 pm
ecdirect raw
raw

King's BBQ..have not been there in years though

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:48 pm
ncdad rare
rare

I'm not a VA bbq authority, but had some 'cue in Danville that has to rank near the top. Place was called Short Sugars. I've only been there once and was very impressed. Really good stuff. As for Pierce's I've been to the Williamsburg location multiple times, usually on the way to Hatteras NC, and it's decent. Not great, but still good enough. Has a little bit of a corporate feel, but still good nonetheless. Also, place always seems packed so I guess they're doing something right.

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:01 am

I just tried "Famous Dave's BBQ" in Woodbridge. The Pork sandwich was pretty good, with a good smoky flavor. They had already put some thick rich sauce on it, but I tried the several other sauces as well. The "Devils Spit" was hot, but not so hot that it burned your galdinger; the "Sweet and Zesty" was good and I bought a bottle to put over BBQ Chicken at home - not the best pork sauce through; the "Georgia Mustard" sauce wasn't all that good to me; and the other sauces were pretty run of the mill.

All in all it was pretty good, but I will try someplace different the next time I'm in that area.

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:02 am
Chefsalad raw
raw

In the greater Richmond area there are a couple of finds:

ExtraBilly's has been around for years, but they do a decent job. Their ribs are tasty and never dried out, and their smoked sausage is excellent. Some good sides are always available. They have a second location on the south-side of the city that apparently is a brew-pub.

In the far West End, Alexander's BBQ is a gem. It is tiny, has odd hours, and is hard to find (located off Route 6 just before the Goochland Line in Henrico County) Their family meal is a package of 6 kaiser rolls, a solid pound of pulled pork, a pound each of beans and (excellent) slaw, and nice container of their sauce. It used to be 9.95 (we ate this meal A LOT) but I think it has climbed to 12 bucks. Still, a great value. And the food is great. They make huge pigs out of snow (if we get any) in the winter.

Buzz and Ned's in the city on the Boulevard (right off I-95 near the baseball stadium) is very good. An odd location and not the most inviting place in the world (seems to be the case with good BBQ) but the ribs are great, the pulled pork is good and the sauces are where they need to be.

Finally, The Smoky Pig in Ashland (15 minutes north of Richmond off 95) has been doing a great job since the mid 1970s. I am partial because I started eating there in college in 78 (when I was 7 years old :roll: :shock: :lol: ) but it's all good.

There used to be 2 Pierce's location in Richmond, but they closed them both. Pierces was a much better place many years ago, but I still think they do a credible job--and they serve thousands of people a day, especially on the weekends for the outlets and in the summer on the way to the beach.

Anyhow, my 2 cents...

aloha

chefsalad

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:22 am
barnyardman medium
medium

I have never eat here yet, have seen these girls in competion on food network
http://www.woodchicksbbq.com/index.html
Barnyardman

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done