Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint VA/NC/SC

VA/NC/SC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 am
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

Hi all,

When we make our trip down from CT to Holden Beach, NC, I always want to look for some good bbq places. Our trip will probably take us all the way around to either Gettysburg or antietam first (I'm a civil war history buff), then we'll take i-95 down to i-40 in nc. Anyone got any suggestions for some good BBQ pit stops along the way?

We'll also be heading through SC on our way over to TN to spend some time at home. So if anyone knows of some good places near Columbia SC (only big city I know of that we go through) please lemme know!

Post Mon May 15, 2006 10:34 am
baker well done
well done

Try this place and tell me how it is.

http://www.hollyeats.com/MooresBBQ.htm

I got there about a month ago at 8:02PM on a Friday night. As I'm walking up to the door someone yells out "closed at 8.......sorry".

Post Thu May 18, 2006 12:47 pm

I know that this might sound kinda crazy, but the one place that I would recommend over all the others since you are coming along the highways, is for you to stop at a "Smithfield’s Chicken and Barbecue" restaurant. There are numerous "Smithfield’s" throughout eastern NC, as it is a chain; BUT, they have excellent "Eastern style" (vinegar and pepper) barbecue!

Probably the most convenient "Smithfield’s" for you is located at exit 364 off of I-40 near Warsaw, NC. It is at the bottom of the ramp, just across the street - you can't miss it! Their BBQ is very tender and moist, in rather large chunks/strips - more like pulled pork than chopped. I already mentioned that the flavor is wonderful and is truly "Eastern NC Style"!!! Their slaw is good with lots of creamy white sauce. Potato salad is wonderful, as is their fried chicken (golden crisp on the outside and moist and tender on the inside). Their Brunswick stew is a wee bit thin, but with excellent flavor. And their hush-puppies are delicious also. If you like sweet tea, get the extra-large, as you will want it to last a LONG time! I'd stay away from the deserts, as the banana pudding and other stuff just isn't in the same league as everything else that they serve.

In my quest to find the best BBQ joint in North Carolina, I must admit that "Smithfield’s" is at the top of the list for "Eastern" style. I'd be more than happy to share any other findings that anyone might be interested in. So far I have sampled (I guess that you would call an entire meal a sample) 94 Q-joints in NC and I know that there are well over a hundred more waiting for me to cross their threshold.

There are numerous other BBQ places that I could recommend, but do yourself a favor and give "Smithfield’s" a try. Then let me know what you think.
Last edited by Another_Q_Lover on Fri May 19, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 10:58 am
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

Hah! I've been to Smithfield nearly every time we drive down there except for one (and I've never let them forget that they chose McDonalds over the bbq). It is good stuff, definitely. I alwyas try to stop at that one there in Warsaw. This year I was looking for something new, though. But I wouldn't be surprised if I'm sucked in as soon as I drive past Warsaw.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 1:05 pm

You might want to try "Flip's Barbecue" in Wilmington (on truck route 17 about 2 miles north of College Drive). Their BBQ is pretty good - fairly moist with a good hint of flavor. Their sauce is a little bit mustardy (kinda like what you would expect to find in South Carolina). Sides are pretty good too. I rated Flip's a 2.5 on my 1-5 scale.

If you are real hungry when you are coming by Wilson, NC I would highly recommend stopping at "Bill's" (also known as Bill Ellis') BBQ. They have a buffet that is WONDERFUL! You can get chopped, sliced, pulled, and usually you can pull it yourself off the pig on the grill too! This is the only Q-joint that I've seen this option available. Plus there are all the usual other foods on the buffet as well. This establishment rated a good solid 4.5 on my 1-5 scale. They are a few miles off I-95, take regular (not business) US route 264 east off of I-95 around exit 120 (not sure about the exit number) about 3 miles to Downing Road (Route NC-1163). Turn left, heading toward town (north east) and Bill's is a couple miles up on the left at the intersection with Forest Hills Road.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 6:15 pm

COLUMBIA, SC - Maurice's BBQ is famous for South Carolina BBQ. They have chains all over the city and one big restaurant with a buffet. If you make it to Charleston, try Bessingers BBQ - the best I've ever had. Of course I am from SC originally and am partial but you won't leave disappointed. SC is the only state to serve all 4 styles of BBQ.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 9:44 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome tot he board huffcarolina! :D

Post Wed May 24, 2006 6:19 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

Sweet. Thanks for that SC reccomendation. We travel down from CT thru VA and NC, but I'm heading home with my family to TN and we go up through SC, right through Columbia. I will definitely look out for Maurices. thanks!

Post Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 pm
Dsorgnzd rare
rare

You might consider a slight detour to the south of Greensboro, down I85 to Lexington where there are 20+ bbq restaurants. I'd recommend Lexington BBQ (aka Lexington #1), or The BBQ Center. Leaving Lexington via US 64, you can pick up I40 again at Mocksville.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:35 am
Chefsalad raw
raw

Bills in Wilson is WELL WORTH the trip off I-95. The whole pig is enough to drive the extra 7-8 minutes, but the fried chicken, the incredible sides, and banana pudding are deal closers. The buffet is all you could want. The pulled pork isn't the best, but everything else MORE than compensates. Don't forget that pig in the back.

Maurices in SC is interesting. Maurice has been widely quoted in the media. Do a google search for yourself. See his own page, and read the comments on him. He has VERY STRONG political views and his stores sell and distribute literature that convey those ideas. If these views on race, the confederacy, state's rights, etc. don't bother you, the large sandwhich is a good deal and tasty. The crispy skin chips are great and the mustard based sauces are good as far as mustard based sauces go. Just don't read too many of the pamphelets.

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:34 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

We ended up at Bill Ellis' in Wilson. it was excellent food, though the building was not as y'all described. The main building appeared to be shut down cos of a fire or something. That didn't hurt business much, since there was a huge crowd inside the little waiting area with an ordering window. And the food was well worth the standing wait, and eating in the car didn't really bug us much!

It was an excellent call. I didn't get to any of the other places unfortunately but took notes on locations so I can stop in next time through the area.

Return to Best BBQ Joint