Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Where should I go in NC & SC?

Where should I go in NC & SC?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:20 pm
Zeke rare
rare

In July, I'll be taking a nice long road trip through North and South Carolina. While I'd love to read through every post on this board, I don't have the time to do it (and posts aren't grouped geographically).

so, I'd like to solicit advice from the board....what are the top spots in the carolinas?

I'll do as much research as I can - but would love to see this thread fill up with advice. We're driving all over both states (From Aiken, SC to the coast of NC and all the way to Charlotte, possibly Ashville) - so I'll gladly go out of my way for world class BBQ.

Cheers,
Zeke
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:49 pm

I live in Sumter, SC. I can tell you honestly, do not eat at Ward's BBQ here. They cook everything at a warehouse, then truck it to the BBQ joints. It is most unappetizing. Maurice's is supposed to be quite good, but as the owner is blatantly racist (he freely admits this), we avoid his establishments. Sticky Fingers is open in Columbia, but costly, esp. for a chain. (That may be why they are so costly.) In Rockhill, SC is Sonny's Real Pit BBQ. Darn good eating, and what we grew up with in Florida.
Now in NC, it is different. Make sure you go through Shelby, NC. You'll run across Bridges Barbecue Lodge Inc. INCREDIBLE! The servings are man sized, and you can smell the wood smoke before you get of the car, a sure sign of good eating if you ask me. There most likely will be a line out the door, but it moves fast. Once you're up, just take the first available table that fits your party. (They don't stand on ceremony here.) Be sure to order the red coleslaw. (The dressing on it is red. Very good!) Throughout the Blue Ridge Mountains, near Bat Cave and Lake Lure (where they filmed Dirty Dancing) you'll see little BBQ joints on the side of the road, Carefully park, and enjoy a great meal by a babbling brook. Hope this helps.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:09 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

One BBQ joint that Steven mentions in BBQ USA that I can personally speak for is Allen and Sons in Chapel Hill, NC. It's just good old hickory-smoked pulled pork barbecue. To help search the recommendations on this board, try using the search feature at the top of the page. That should help turn up some ideas as well!

We look forward to hearing about your travels, and which joints you liked the most, especially since you'll be driving through all the major sauce regions of the Carolinas.

Info

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:30 am
Zeke rare
rare

Oh yes! Trying the different regional sauces is something I'm excited about.

I also grew up in Florida eating Sonny's Real Pit. In fact, I was just there last month. My hands down favorite is the Georgia Pig though....best sauce I've ever had.

Thanks for the advice on places to go, and on how to find more info on this board!

Cheers,
Zeke

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:38 pm
Brentk rare
rare

If you are used to Sonny's and the Georgia Pig, NC BBQ will be surprisingly different. There are two major styles in NC - Eastern (whole pig and vinegar based sauce) and Lexington (pork shoulder with a bit of ketchup added to the sauce - which will still be thin compared to what you are used to tasting) and a variety of minor regional variants which often have to do with accompaniments. Generally, you can get NC BBQ in two forms - chopped or minced, and pulled or sliced. (I have paired the terms as they are interchangable, but a little confusing to an outsider.) I prefer hand-pulled but not every place does that.

Anyhow, for the Eastern style, I would go to Skylight Inn in Ayden, Mitchell's in Wilson and Wilbur's in Goldsboro. For the Lexington style, go to Lexington BBQ (ask for outside brown to get a bit of the cracklin' chopped in), BBQ Center and Jimmy's (all in Lexington). All of these places are log burners that cook in the traditional style.

I also like Allen and Sons (make sure you go to the one on 86 north of Chapel Hill) but they use a different warmed sauce with butter in it that some complain is greasy because they don't understand what it is about. (In fact, some folks compain that Skylight's BBQ is crunchy, not understanding that the crunchy bits are chopped cracklin'.)

Bridge's is a good example of the Lexington style as well.

In South Carolina, you will find a mustard based sauce that is thicker and sweeter than in NC (although this is only in certain parts of SC). My favorite example of SC-style is in Greenville at Henry's.

I'm not very fond of Sonny's so you may want to take all of my comments with a grain of salt. I find that their sliced BBQ is very dry and that their sauce is too thick and sweet. To each his own, however, as this is what makes BBQ a fascinating topic. I prefer naturally moist BBQ without a lot of sauce but a good smokey flavor.

Happy eatin'.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:02 pm
Zeke rare
rare

Brent,

Thanks for the in-depth recommendations! I'm with you on Sonny's - it's not the greatest in the world and their sauce doesn't knock my socks off. The Georgia Pig, with their thin, vinegar/mustard sauce is hands down my favorite. From what I've read, it sounds like their sauce is more South Carolina style.

I was reading through the Barbecue Bible and Steven also mentions Lexington BBQ - so that's definitely on my list of stops.

When I get back, I'll post my reviews here. I'm getting hungry just thinking about the trip!

Zeke

NC

Post Fri May 07, 2004 1:17 pm
chris

i like King's in Kinston, Cooper's in downtown Raleigh, BBQ Lodge in north Raleigh and Dillard's in Durham

Post Fri May 07, 2004 1:40 pm
Keith

In addition, Bullocks BBQ in Durham, NC is legendary; a number of celeberties stop there on their way thru, but you will see folks from all walks of life there.

Post Sat May 15, 2004 7:30 am

While it's not barbeque, I highly reccomend "The Icehouse" in Morehead City,NC. One of the best chefs I have ever experienced works there, and he puts some of the best seafood you'll ever taste in front of you. We drive 200 miles from Norfolk,VA. just to eat there. The stuffed baquette appetizer is enough to meal out of and is out of this world. Try one of his specials, they change every night. This chef could cook anywhere in the world and puts world class receipes on the table every night.

Post Sat May 15, 2004 10:37 pm

eastern north carolina bbq, forget west of durham . It's not the same.

Try white swan or Smithfield's. Smithfield's is everywhere in eastern nc. BBq lodge in Raleigh is excelent also. Just remeber to to Raleigh and parts east and Enjoy!!!
david.

dstevens4@nc.rr.com

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:59 pm
neal1960

If you are traveling on I-85 near Gaffney (look for the big peach) Daddy Joes has great BBQ ribs. Exit 92, then west toward downtown Gaffney (Floyd Baker Blvd) About 1 mile on left off interstate. Good luck!

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:03 pm

Brent Kulman wrote:
Anyhow, for the Eastern style, I would go to Skylight Inn in Ayden, Mitchell's in Wilson and Wilbur's in Goldsboro. For the Lexington style, go to Lexington BBQ (ask for outside brown to get a bit of the cracklin' chopped in), BBQ Center and Jimmy's (all in Lexington). All of these places are log burners that cook in the traditional style.

I also like Allen and Sons (make sure you go to the one on 86 north of Chapel Hill) but they use a different warmed sauce with butter in it that some complain is greasy because they don't understand what it is about. (In fact, some folks compain that Skylight's BBQ is crunchy, not understanding that the crunchy bits are chopped cracklin'.)

Bridge's is a good example of the Lexington style as well.

Happy eatin'.

Excellent advice. However, Lexington NC is the bbq mecca of the world...more bbq joints per capita than any other place in the world. Many great places.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:00 pm
jefhsr raw
raw

Bobby's BBQ in between North August and Aiken on Hwy 1, Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, Shealys BBQ in Batesburg, Hites BBQ in West Columbia
Jeff

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:11 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board jefhsr! :D

Jeff feel free to join us in other BBQ related conversation over on the discussion side of the forum.

Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:36 am

When you get near Aiken, try Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, SC. I think they are only open Thurs-Sat.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint