Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Ft. Lauderdale - The Georgia Pig

Ft. Lauderdale - The Georgia Pig

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:52 am
Zeke rare
rare

This is the bbq I grew up on - and is my favorite BBQ on the planet.

Right near the corner of State Road 7 (441) and Davie Blvd, you'll see the Georgia Pig. A tiny, old school bbq joint - Wayne and Jo Ann Anderson cook chopped pork shoulder over live oak in a fireplace. They serve a mustard-based sauce that is the best I've ever tasted. Everytime I go home to Florida, I buy a gallon of Georgia Pig sauce and freeze it in a Ziploc bag to bring home. Anytime I've served it with Pulled Pork, people can't stop raving about it. (I always give credit where credit is due)

If you're ever in the Ft. Lauderdale area, swing by the Georgia Pig. You won't be disappointed.
Last edited by Zeke on Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:58 am
Zeke rare
rare

Here's a good writeup about the Georgia Pig from the Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel:

http://www.showtimeinteractive.com/top/1,1419,S-Showtime-Restaurants-0!ArticleDetail-11011,00.html
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:48 pm
Esquire59 medium-rare
medium-rare

Zeke wrote:
This is the bbq I grew up on - and is my favorite BBQ on the planet.

Right near the corner of State Road 7 (441) and Davie Blvd, you'll see the Georgia Pig. A tiny, old school bbq joint - Wayne and Jo Ann Anderson cook chopped pork shoulder over live oak in a fireplace. They serve a mustard-based sauce that is the best I've ever tasted. Everytime I go home to Florida, I buy a gallon of Georgia Pig sauce and freeze it in a Ziploc bag to bring home. Anytime I've served it with Pulled Pork, people can't stop raving about it. (I always give credit where credit is due)

If you're ever in the Ft. Lauderdale area, swing by the Georgia Pig. You won't be disappointed.

I can't tell you all how true this review is. I used to live about 5 miles from this joint. If you're in SoFla, you've gotta hit the Georgia Pig.

Zeke, any chance you've got the recipe for that sauce. I'm a rub man myself but that sauce is better than any sauce, rub, marinade I've ever had the privilege of tasting. I'd love to see Steve take a stab at it. Can't be that complicated.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:40 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Zeke - This is the second time this place has come up in so many days. Esquire was just talking about it on the General Board as well.
I'll deffinately have to check it out next time I'm in the area.
I try to get to Pompano (near Ft. Lauderdale) about once a year and thats one of the things that I love about the place, there is TONS of great places to eat. I plan my trips by where I want to eat!!
As much as I love BBQ its tough for me to tear myself away from Stone Crabs, but with reccomendations like that I'll have to add the Georgia Pig to my hit list.
Thanks for the heads up!

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:46 pm
gatorace rare
rare

In Sunrise, about 10 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale, Mrs. Smokeys sits near the Sawgrass Mall and offers up some of the best BBQ around. Their sauces are amazing...hot and spicy like no other. Service is a little slow these days, but the food is incredible. Overall an A+.
CB

"It's not burnt, it's grilled."

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:35 pm
Big D well done
well done

I was in the Keys, Miami, and Delray beach as well as Orlando for a feeks in April/May and had some amazing BBQ in each of the above..... their was aplace near Saawgrass Malls, perhaps the one refferred to because I couldnt remember the name, that was really good... I was sooo impressed with the Q everywhere.. even the fast food at Disneys Animal Kingdom was really good Q for being fast food (I had stlouis style smoked ribs and baked beans and grilled corn)... not like a full sit down place but they did actually slow smoke it and considering we dont even have BBQ resturants here let along BBQ fast food it was a great trip all around

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:20 pm
Esquire59 medium-rare
medium-rare

gatorace wrote:
In Sunrise, about 10 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale, Mrs. Smokeys sits near the Sawgrass Mall and offers up some of the best BBQ around. Their sauces are amazing...hot and spicy like no other. Service is a little slow these days, but the food is incredible. Overall an A+.

I'd pretty much agree with these comments. I used to live 1 mile from Mrs. Smokeys. It was hit or miss for me. Some times it was awesome; other times it was not so great. The hot bbq sauce is way, way too hot and I love hot sauces. If you've never been to the Georgia Pig, try it out.

Return to Best BBQ Joint