Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Boston Area BBQ

Boston Area BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:41 am
Zeke rare
rare

Every time I pick up a Boston newspaper or magazine, they always tout Redbones in Davis Sq. as the area's best BBQ. I disagree - it's mediocre bbq, but a great place to drink beer.

The best BBQ I've had in the Boston area is from Blue Ribbon in Arlington. Ribs, Pulled Pork and Burnt Ends are all stellar. They have a "Gold" sauce that is outstanding, and they make some excellent collard greens.

Up in Gloucester, there's a guy by the name of Smokin' Jim who has a smoker set up outside of a big antique shop. He knows what he's doing, and turns out some amazing ribs and pulled pork.

In Cambridge, the East Coast Grill is excellent. It's not really a BBQ joint per se, but a restaurant that features amazing grilled good. They have a "hell night" twice a year, where they change the menu to feature all spicy food. If you can eat an entire "Pasta from Hell" dish, your meal is free.

In downtown Peabody, there's a Brazillian BBQ called the Fire Bull which has an all-you-can-eat deal. If you love meat, this place will do you right. After a salad and appetizer course, the waiters emerge from the fire pit area with SWORDS of meat. They come to your table, and saw off as much as you like onto your plate. They serve 15 different kinds of meat - beef, pork, chicken, sausage, lamb...amazing stuff.

In East Boston, check out Santarpio's. This is arguably the city's most famous pizza joint, but they have a wood burning grill in the front and turn out insanely good grilled sausage and lamb kebabs. It's right by the airport in Boston. Make a right as soon as you get out of the Callahan Tunnel - it's right in front of you.

I'd like to hear what other BBQ joints in the Boston area are great. Comments on RI, NH and Maine locations would be great as well.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Mon May 31, 2004 12:55 am

Here's a little secret. Try Uncle Pete's just down Bennington Street from Santarpio's in East Boston for the best BBQ in Boston. Don't bother with the baby backs - not enough meat. Do try the regular pork ribs, pulled pork, and beef ribs. You like smoke flavor? This is amazing stuff. After eating there, I felt like I had smoked two packs!

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:33 pm
SRH_21 medium
medium

I like Firefly's in Marlboro, about 45 minutes west of Boston. They have a large selection of hot sauces and the only place around, that I have seen, that has Red Velvet Cake.

My other selection, about 45 minutes south of Boston in Attleboro, is the Memphis Roadhouse. You know you are getting close when you smell the hickory.

Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:42 pm

I think most of that is true but Hickory Barbecue in East Boston is the best even for Kansas City teste of Barbecue. There Potatoes are out of this world. There Tritips are very good as well. Matt of KC

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:16 am

I agree w/ Redbones - good, not great. Firefly's is very good. I saw the owner, Steve Uliss, at a foodie event a while ago and begged him to open a location somewhere on the south shore, as our choices are limited down here. He's looking for a good location, so at least there's hope. :D

Bison County and Jake's Dixie Roadhouse, both on Moody St. in Waltham, are decent. Jake's had an excellent pulled pork, but the ribs were not very good. The wings at Bison County are great.

I haven't been to the Village Smokehouse in Brookline in a few years. I recall it being adequate, but not yummy.

Should I be craving a pulled pork sammich this early in the morning???

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:31 pm
vireya raw
raw

A new barBQ has opened on Davis Straits. Interesting that over the years it has been four rests that I know of, but the first, back in the early 70s was Tony Romas. However, this latest entry is one you would want to AVOID. Ribs were so awful that it caused me to even forget the name of the place.

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:32 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the forum vireya! Hope you'll be able to share some of your Que'in experiences with us.

P.S. You have a PM :D

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:51 pm
Sledneck well done
well done

Dicks Last Resort make awesome ribs!
Steve

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:06 pm
bbq656 raw
raw

hi all,

my first post - got steves book for Christmas.... guess the family wants a little variety. :wink:

ok, a nice place i used to go to is in brookline called the village smokehouse.

casual seating area with a nice bar area.

it was great the few times i went a few years ago.... hope they are still queing up a storm.

http://www.villagesmokehouse.com/

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the forum bbq656! :D Great to have you on board.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:56 pm
txn raw
raw

"ZEKE" -
GOODY COLE'S SMOKEHOUSE IS THE PLACE TO GO FOR AUTHENTIC BBQ! THEY ARE LOCATED IN EXETER, NH (WELL WORTH THE DRIVE) YOU CAN'T BEAT THERE PULLED PORK AND BRISKET. CHECK OUT THERE WEBSITE AT GOODYCOLES.COM
NOTHING COMPARES!!!!!

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the forum txn! :D Hope you have some back yard experiences to share too. :wink: Stick around and enjoy the fun.

Return to Best BBQ Joint