Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint San Diego BBQ joints

San Diego BBQ joints

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:08 pm
ddog27 medium-rare
medium-rare

I am going to San Diego this weekend. I was wondering if there are any BBQ places worth stopping at?

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:41 pm
ecdirect raw
raw

Phil's BBQ in San Diego. Great Beef Ribs

Post Thu May 18, 2006 11:53 am

I'm heading to San Diego next month and will be staying at the Radisson Hotel in Mission Valley without a car. Can anyone recommend a decent BBQ restaurant within walking distance?

Thanks!!!

Post Thu May 18, 2006 12:05 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm going to visit my sister there in the summer. She told me there is a place, cleverly called "The Strip Club" where you choose your cut of meat, and they give it to your....you then cook it yourself on a large community grill and eat it. Sounds like fun!

Another Q,
Locate your hotel on Google Earth, then select the option to view all the BBQ restaurants....they will all be marked automatically.
PM or email me if you have any questions about how.

A>

Post Thu May 18, 2006 1:07 pm
baker well done
well done

Grillslinger wrote:
I'm going to visit my sister there in the summer. She told me there is a place, cleverly called "The Strip Club" where you choose your cut of meat, and they give it to your....you then cook it yourself on a large community grill and eat it. Sounds like fun!

Many many years ago travelling from the west coast to the east I stopped in a small town for dinner, and found a restaurant that was advertised as "your steak cooked exactly to your liking or your money back, 100% guaranteed".

Same type of restaurant as you described above. Had butchers behind a big glass cold unit, you pointed to the desired cut, or you could ask for a custom cut. They'd weigh it out and put it on your bill.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 1:08 am
heytina raw
raw

Twice when visiting SD we have had fun at the Turf Supper Club where you grill your own steaks. The prices are very reasonable but there's a catch. Do not expect prompt service or an easy seat. They are always busy. It's a real throw back to the 60's supper clubs and not much has change in this establishment since. But go knowing this and not to have real high expectations other than you are given a quality piece of meat or fish at an extremely reasonable price.

The crowd is a bit eclectic, but you will enjoy if you go with a bit of an open mind to eat at a not so ordinary supper club.

Turf Supper Club
1116 25th Street
San Diego, CA 92154

Big Jim's in Encinitas on Hwy 101 is a favorite too. worth the drive about 1/2 hour north of San Diego. Take I-5 North until you see signs for Encinitas and take the first exit, turn west toward the beach and get onto 101 heading north and you will find it on the left hand side of the raod.

190 N Coast Highway 101
Encinitas, CA 92024
Phone: 760-635-1166

Post Fri May 19, 2006 9:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board heytina! :D

Post Fri May 19, 2006 9:30 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome Heytina!