Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint It aint the best there is, but NYC has some decent BBQ too

It aint the best there is, but NYC has some decent BBQ too

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
nycbbq

I know there are plenty of haters out ther when it comes to NYC BBQ joints, but with Blue Smoke, Pearsons, Daisy May, Lucy's Mexican....and soon Dinosaur BBQ.
We got some smokin' goin' on in the "Big Apple." And it's only gettin' better.

Blue Smoke has certainly improved since opening, Pearson's is coming along since expanding into Manhattan from Queens, and Daisy May - though a bit non-tradtional - is delicious and they even opened a street cart that serves hot-smoked chili made from their pulled por and beef brisket. Lucy's Mexican BBQ is new, and just gettin' it's footing, but it already serves up some great grub.

From what I hear Dinosaur BBQ - out of Syracuse and Rochester - is a top-notch spot, and they're opening in the very-Upper West Side this Summer.

Anyone have any thoughts on Dinosaur? And I be thrilled to hear a real "afficianado" give us their thoughts on the up and coming NYC BBQ scene.

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:30 pm
JD in Jersey

Dino is awesome. Been to the one in Syracuse many times. Good food & blues (don't forget the ice cold beer!) Can't wait til they open in NYC.

Happy Q'n
JD

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:20 pm

I second that about Dinosaur BBQ, been to syracuse several times and rochester once. Best BBQ in the northeast so far.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:28 pm

Virgil's, on 44th St. in Times SQ, is another option.

The Q is OK, not the greatest.

But you've gotta try the smoked/marinated/finished-on-the-grill BBQ Chicken Wings. You can thank me later. :D

John

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:32 am
FedoraDave medium-well
medium-well

Dinosaur is exceptional. I began a thread here about our experience with it, and I'm definitely going to check out their NYC location.

I've been to Virgil's, and it was adequate. I was expecting more, truthfully. Not worth a special trip, IMO, but if you're in the Times Square area, it's worth checking out.
There is NO SUCH THING as "pork tartare!"

Return to Best BBQ Joint