Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Washington State.....Where Should I Go?

Washington State.....Where Should I Go?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:01 am
jklancke rare
rare

I am still fairly new to the "true" BBQing process. I now know, after a friend from texas told me, using a gas grill is a cookout. She told me that until you use fire, do not refer to cooking meat outdoors as a barbecue. I need to know of a good place to go and experience what REAL BBQ tasts like. I want to compare my brisket and pork should to that of a true southern master. Until then, I can't tell how I am doing. I will drive far and wide, so please let me know where to go!

Thanks,
Jeff

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:49 am
Longmill well done
well done

I'm sorry I can't answer your question because I'm so far away. However, I can disagree with your friend. :)

Many members here turn out excellent BBQ on gas fired equipment. :!: :!:

IMHO, it's the smoke, not the heat source that makes good Q. Plus, the skill of the pit master in using their equipment.

BTW, this isn't meant to open up the ages old debate over which is best. :wink: IMHO, there's too many tastes, regional preferences, personal preferences, etc. to ever reach a conclusion.

That said, :) I hope someone can recommend some good places in your area.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 pm
jklancke rare
rare

I agree with you in terms of the smoke makes the difference. But also the slow cooking. The longest I spent in front of the BBQ before I got the Chargriller was 15 minutes. I think she was lumping everything into one easy comment. None the less, I am glad she set me straight.

Jeff

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:29 am
BBQRanger medium
medium

Hey there Jeff!

I spent some time up there at Ft. Lewis, WA. I am up here in Bellevue right now visiting my parents for the holidays.

I don't know of any true BBQ in the Tacoma area, there are only a couple of places I know of up on the Eastside.

Crossroads mall (Bellevue) has Jones's BBQ. Not bad. Not sure how they smoke their stuff though in the mall :?

There is another place I checked out today called Dixie's. A true hole-in-the-wall. The place is actually tucked underneath the I-405/ 520 overpasses in a corrugated tin shack.

My dad told me I had to go there and meet, "The Man".

We ordered pulled-pork sandwiches and a side of beans and rice and the owner came around with this little pot with a dark (almost black) substance. He simply asked if I had, "met the man."

I replied "no" but told him to bring it on.

No joke, he put the prong of a fork's worth on my bun. I took a swipe of the dabble and tasted it. Instant fire!!! :shock: Quite literally the hottest substance I had ever tried in my life!

He came around again and plopped a little in my beans and rice. I scooped most of it out, but left a little in. Mixed it up, and continued to eat my heat, beans and rice!

The BBQ was average. They used BBQ sauce liberally to cover an otherwise bland-tasting meat. Very tender though.

I would go just to meet, "The Man".

Dixie's BBQ, 11522 Northup Way, Bellevue

Check out this link:

http://www.seattledining.com/ARCHIVE/restaurants/dixies.htm

Good Luck to you. Don't let the rain discourage you from getting out doors and grilling. I grilled nearly every day since 21 December and you know how great the weather has been! :P [/url]
"Gettin' paid to grill, two weeks out of every month!"

Weber Silver Genesis
CG Super Pro w/SFB

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:06 am
jklancke rare
rare

Thanks for the info. I had a pork sand from them at Safeco Field. It was OK, I wonder if it is better at their original location. I was out in the rain 3 nights ago and fired up another rack full about two hours ago. It has been raining the whole time. I still love though!

Jeff

Return to Best BBQ Joint