Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Famous Dave's

Famous Dave's

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:24 am

At at FD's in Manhattan, KS for lunch yesterday. The rib tips and brisket were good and a welcome meal from the lousy one I had at Haywards in KC. However, they weren't the best I'd ever had - about par with typical chain-type BBQ restaurants. I was kind of disappointed to have sauce already on the meat when there were bottles of about six different sauces already on the table for you. Only after I ordered did I find out that you can order your meat "Nakid" Price was a little high, but the waitstaff was purdy and smiled a lot, so I guess you pay for the atmosphere.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:50 pm
Farmgirl medium
medium

I thought Famous Dave's was good a few years ago then I started BBQing my own ribs and now I wouldn't waste my money. I found their rub recipie online and I do like it. For me personsally, I don't like chain restraunts.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:15 pm
cmmull well done
well done

Ok, I saw this place when I went to my folks place in Roseville, MI. First thing that popped to mind: How can he be famous if most people haven't ever heard of him. The second thing that came to mind was this:

How can it be barbecue (authentic) if there are no exhaust or chimney stacks that should have a semblance of smoke coming from them? Yes, you can simulate (simulate) bbq in gas or electric pits, but authentic means just that...with wood as the fuel...just my $.02, since I wasn't about to spend anything more than that to find out how good or bad the food was...

Post Sun May 14, 2006 2:08 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

Famous Daves is OK. Just OK. They have some nice soups and make a good chicken, but the ribs are hit or miss and I have never seen or smelled smoke coming from the place, either. It's not a bad place if you're hard up for some ribs with BBQ sauce on them, but look harder if you have the time and patience for some serious q.

Post Sun May 14, 2006 2:58 pm
karl raw
raw

I wanted to go there for years but the closest oone was 250 miles away. Finally one opened in my city. I was disappointed by the quality of the sauce, it was uninspiring. The quality of meat mediocre in that it was fatty and not at all tender. For the quality it was too expensive. They serve over cooked corn on the cob and the beans are just a mushy pile.

Post Sun May 14, 2006 3:01 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

Haha yes. I forgot about that corn. It is always wretched. IF you get up the stomach to go back (sounds like you didn't like it!) try the Brunswick Stew. That at least is pretty good, I think.

Post Tue May 16, 2006 8:49 am
neverwins raw
raw

I 'd have to agree. Famous Dave's is ok. Just a chain. It seems the more I BBQ the less I like chain food like Dave's or Smokin Bones.

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:11 am
Chefsalad raw
raw

It is interesting that most of the discussion about Famous Dave's is mid-west or farther west. We have them here in VA, but they don't generally hold a candle to the local joints or even the bigger local chains. If you want a chain BBQ meal, try Red Hot and Blue.

aloha

Post Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:35 am
BRH raw
raw

I actually like Famous Dave's quite a bit. Granted, they are a chain restaurant, but for a chain, they are really very good. I also enjoy Smokey Bones somewhat, but I think Famous Dave's is better. I've eaten many times at the Famous Dave's locations in Knoxville, TN and Chattanooga, TN, and always enjoy it. I especially love their "Texas Pit", texas style (hot/sweet) BBQ sauce. I buy it quite regularly by the bottle.
As I said, usually the home owned places are best, but there are some chains that I do like. One's that I think are above average are Famous Dave's, Smokey Bones, Sonny's (yes, I know some don't like them, but I've always enjoyed them. Especially their great sauces). I also love to eat at Bill Miller BBQ when I'm in Texas, and here in East Tennessee, we have a local chain called Buddy's BBQ that isn't too bad (although it is typical southern type BBQ, and I prefer either Kansas City or Texas style myself).

Post Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board BRH! :D

Post Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:15 pm
SmokyOkie well done
well done

:wink: Can we really expect real q when it comes mass produced out of an electric or gas smoker in the kitchen of a chain restaurant?! Ate there once, ribs cooked to mush best part of ribs cut off(St. Louis style-brisket cut off). The wife and I concurred, one of their sauces was so so, hot links had a distinct bratwurst flavor(Minnesota...hmm...),but the pickles were the only saving grace.

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:09 pm
DrunkMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

We just got one here recently in Rochester. I have not gone and have no intenton to. When you have Dinosaur BBQ, there's just no comparison (unless its my own 'Q !)

:lol:
"The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli!"

GOSM
Weber Performer

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:47 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The wife and kids are currently visiting her parents and they all went to Branson MO today. My in-laws told them dinner was at a place they knew didn't exist in WI...yep, you guessed it - Famous Dave's. Not only does it exist here but it's the home of the very first one!! :lol:

Brad

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:24 pm
CRKhead rare
rare

Here on Long Island, we have Famous Dave's, a Smokey Bones and a bunch of small one shot BBQ joints. I frequent Smokin Al's which is one of the smaller places here, I haven't been able to really find any others although I've heard rumors there are many more... I should follow my nose... anyway, back to business.

Famous Dave's I would go to if I REALLY REALLY wanted BBQ, but:
A: Didn't feel like cooking myself
B: Weather wouldn't permit cooking myself
C: Didn't have the ingredients to cook it myself
D: Don't feel like driving 45+ minutes to a restaurant

Smokey Bones, long drive for me. Good ribs, good pulled pork, excellent skillet cornbread and my favorite brunswick stew.

Smokin Al's is by far my favorite when I'm not BBQing myself. I'd explain it, but I tend to get misty eyed when I talk about there smoked chicken wings and brisket nachos.

Anyway, I know this was about Famous Dave's, but I needed to add more. Famous Dave's is average food IMHO.
Mine glows just like this. :shock:

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:09 pm
Andy medium
medium

I really like the FD's here in Madison. I'm sure it's not like the famous joints down south, but it's about the best BBQ around here. There are a couple of other local BBQ places here, but in my opinion, they're not as good.
FWIW- I DO see smoke and smell the hickory at the Famous Daves here; in fact, it is stacked up outside by their smoker.

Hey Brad, where is their first store? I thought it was in Minneapolis?
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint