Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Near Baltimore

Near Baltimore

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:32 pm
Freelander medium
medium

just north of Baltimore in the town of Cockeysville is far and away my favorite BBQ spot..... Andy Nelson's. The walls are covered with several "Best of Baltimore" and other national awards....all of which are well deserved.

very casual atmosphere, heaping portions, and simply delicious BBQ.
Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.
-Mark Twain

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:01 am
TheDuke rare
rare

I have to second this choice. Excellent "Memphis Style" bbq, and they have some of the best dry rub ribs I have ever tasted. Suprisingly enough, I typically like wet ribs more but Andy Nelson's changed my frame of mind for good! They have some of the tastiest sauces and dips I have ever tried and sell plenty on the premises.

During a usual visit I get the Pit Beef Express. A heaping portion of Pit Beef on a kaiser (or your choice of bread) with slaw and BBQ Baked Beans. These beans are excellent and spicy, and are a great compliment to the meal, and the slaw rounds it out nicely. I even dash some Texas Pete or other of their many hot sauces on the slaw to kick it up, and I'm in heaven!

Here is a little background as taken from their web site and a link. If ever traveling through, do yourself a favor and stop in! I'm usually there every Saturday, ha ha!
Our Family has nearly a century old tradition of serving "Serious Barbecue." Andy Sr. learned his labor of love from his dad, ‘Guy Nelson’ - Chief Barbecue Man for Limestone County, Alabama.

In the 50’s, Andy & Betty were not only attending Memphis State, raising a family, and sighting the real Elvis, but they were also developing a BBQ style all their own, integrating the spiciness of Memphis BBQ with the Old Nelson Family tradition.

Andy’s not famous for his championship years with the Baltimore Colts; he’s famous for his hickory smoked BBQ. Ask Andy and he’ll tell you that one of the secrets is slow cooking. Our BBQ is smoked many hours over Hickory logs until it falls off the bone, then simmered in our own heirloom sauce.

Regularly voted "Baltimore’s Best BBQ" by the staff and readers of Baltimore Magazine and the City Paper, this is one "Q" you won’t want to miss. So let us take you and your guests down the Ol’ Mississippi with great "Q" and maybe a little Elvis (on tape that is). We recommend adding some of our Extra Fixin’s to compliment your meal.

http://www.andynelsonsbbq.com/

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:47 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board TheDuke! :D

Hope you'll join us in more dicussion about BBQ'ing & Grilling.

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:28 pm
TheDuke rare
rare

Hi "Bob-BQN"! Thanks for the welcome and I will certainly be around as much as possible! I'm a big fan of Steve's show and this here is a very intuitive site to compliment it! I need to pick up a season or so on DVD to send to my parents in Maine!

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Duke,

We're all hoping that BBQ-U seasons will be published to DVD sets. 8) But for the time being there is a 3 hours "Best of" DVD currently available in the store: http://www.barbecuebible.com/store/ . Enjoy!

Return to Best BBQ Joint