Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Chicago pointers?

Chicago pointers?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:52 am
ridout medium
medium

I'm headed to a conference in Chicago this weekend. Anybody want to steer me to some places to eat and/or types of cuisine I should seek out while there?

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:11 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

If you can work up an appetite, go to Sal & Carvao... http://www.salecarvao.com/index.php

It's a meat lover's paradise!

Also, Gibson's is great for steak, in a city known for steak... and Weber's is great to go to, also.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:18 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Eli's The Place for Steak
215 East Chicage Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 642-1393

This place is a Chicago institution.
It's fancy but great.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:31 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I lived in Illinois for a while. Chicago is also famous for Pizza. If you like pizza then definately try to get to either Gino's or Giordanos. Both are great. If I remember correctly, Giordanos specializes in deep dish which are just killer. Each slice weighs like a pound! Definately get out to Rush Street Downtown. Tons of bars and restaurants. You can go to Giordano's on Rush!

www.giordanos.com

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:41 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

cmcadams wrote:
If you can work up an appetite, go to Sal & Carvao... http://www.salecarvao.com/index.php

Looks identical to Fogo, also in Chicago. Tried both ?? Comparisons ??

http://www.fogodechao.com/

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:54 am
Jackalope well done
well done

I back up everyone, been to almost all the places x-cept Sal & Carvao. Magnum's is also a fantastic place, and a wonderful martini & piano bar to boot. Excellent for loners, dates or groups. Great wine list, too! 225 W. Ontario.

As far as pizza, I can't decide between Gino's, Giordanos or Uno. All Yummy. :D

And if you get an extra few minutes, Check out Navy Pier's Halloween extravanagza. Food, fun, and lots of fright!

(Oh, don't forget all of the Sox parties.......... 8) )

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:59 am
cmcadams well done
well done

I've tried Fogo and Sal & Carvao both... prefer Sal & Carvao... it's just a touch nicer, and an even better salad bar (though both are great).
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ridout wrote:
I'm headed to a conference in Chicago this weekend. Anybody want to steer me to some places to eat and/or types of cuisine I should seek out while there?
You'll see lots of hot dog places that sell Vienna Beef products - definitely stop in at one while you're there. I like Connie's for pizza but other good places have been mentioned. And White Castle - one of my favorites and a very unique burger!

BBQ content: if you're going to be in the Downers Grove/Darien area there's a place called "Bub's" that's supposed to be pretty good. Maybe the moderators might want to slide this thread over to the "Best BBQ Joint" forum?

Brad

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:54 pm
Katman rare
rare

Where is the conference??? Maybe knowing where you'll be can help us steer you in the right direction.....
Katman
Wheaton,IL

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:59 pm
ridout medium
medium

Thanks for the pointers.

I'm in Chicago for the next 24 hours (the Lake Bluff area?) and then tomorrow it's off to a conference center in Wisconsin.

I think the plan is to definitely get pizza while in town tonight. We'll also be seeking out some dogs or brats tomorrow. I do Fogo in Houston on occasion, so I can get that at home...

I will also be checking out some of the steak suggestions.

:wink:
ridout

On the way to Wisconsin, we are stopping at a Culver's for a butterburger and cheese curds???

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:49 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What's your Wisconsin destination, and do you know your route?

Brad

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:39 pm
Jackalope well done
well done

Hey Ridout,

I work in Lake Bluff! Off of 176, which is called Rockland Road. What place will you be? I work at a landscaping firm near Interstate 94. I have suggestions!
:D
Pizza? Go to THE SILO and they have the best pizzas!
For burgers, yes, Culvers is also on 176. Just west of Lake Bluff, in Libertyville.
Also, DONELLI's has reportedly the best breaded pork loin sandwiches around. It's near the Silo.
Fatmans bar and grill is another place on the same road.
For hotdogs, go to Scooters. Cheap but great.

Each one of these restaurants is on Rt. 176 (Rockland Road). And each one has been mentioned in Chicago Tribune as great eats.

Good luck!

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 am

wow. again, thanks for the insight.

For those that were asking details - I'm here to speak at a youth conference for Christ Church, Lake Forest. I'm staying with my friend who is the youth minister. He lives in Lake Bluff. Tonight we're headed to Phantom Ranch in Mukwanago (sp?) WI. That's about the sum total of my knowledge as far as where I am and where I'm headed. :)

I'll see if we can hit the Silo today. The breaded pork loin sandwich also sounds good...

thanks,
ridout

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:26 pm
outagas well done
well done

ridout wrote:
On the way to Wisconsin, we are stopping at a Culver's for a butterburger and cheese curds???

Culver's specializes in frozen custard, the higher fat version of ice cream. http://www.culvers.com/

If you are going to Culver's bring a bigger belt and take double dose of Lipitor. And be sure to order a Concrete Malted for dessert. Culver's is a diner menu in a fast food setting.

Culver's was my daughter's first job. I will buy their stock if & when they go public. I love those guys.
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:35 am
Jackalope well done
well done

I'm buying stock, too.
:D ...mom and I love not only the custard and Butterburgers but they have great fries and Wisconsin Cheddar melts, yum....

Hope your trip is/was a good one Ridout. If you were lucky, you might have gotten a taste of both the Silo and Culvers! :lol:

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint