Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Winner Update

Winner Update

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:26 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Thanks to all who participated in the Great BBQ Joint Contest. We
notified the winner. As soon as we hear back, we'll let you know who
won and who was a runner up. Although the contest is officially over,
we urge you to keep posting about your favorite barbecue joints. This
is one of the most popular pages on the site--we'd love to hear from
you.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:05 pm

:lol: steven was it I who won that nice grill? If they don't want it I will love to take it :P .
GLORY TO THE LAMB OF GOD (KING JESUS) My name is Mike Starks : you guy's have a blessed day.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:03 pm
Forrest rare
rare

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Steven Raichlen, Workman Publishing, and Weber-Stephen Products Co. for selecting my entry and sending me this wonderful Weber grill. It will get lots of use!

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... 2&start=27

Now grillin' in style . . .

Forrest

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:13 pm
Forrest rare
rare

From http://www.expedia.com/daily/guides/s/P ... 1049I1.asp

The Scene
One of the Bay Area's oldest barbecue joints, Big John's was founded by a preacher named John Andrew Stephens, who ran it successfully for nearly 25 years. When he died a couple of years ago, he was so well-known that the Tampa Tribune put his obituary on the front page. Now, his family continues to run his restaurants, one called Mrs. Campbell's Alabama BBQ on Gandy Boulevard and the original Big John's Alabama BBQ on 40th Street near Busch Gardens. And the food continues to be among the best barbecue served anywhere.

The Food
The chopped pork sandwiches and rack of ribs are too heavenly, the baked beans are rich with a heavy sauce, thick with molasses and just sweet enough. Corn on the cob and coleslaw round out the side orders. The decor is simple, unadorned tables and chairs, nothing fancy. Eat in or take out.

picture by my Instamatic
Forrest

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:26 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Forrest,

Congratulations! As each of us had competed for the prize, there is a little bit of us in it. When you use it remember us and share your BBQ experiences with us. We'll all be looking forward to your adventures on the new grill! :D

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:46 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Hi Forrest,

I just wanted to add my congratulations. I'm sure with all of the posts, the decision had to be a difficult one. Your write-up is very convincing and inviting. I hope that you get many years of great usage from the grill. Like others, I will be looking forward to hearing about your grilling experiences. Good Luck! :D

Pete

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:46 am
Forrest rare
rare

Bob-BQN,
I most certainly will, and actually I already did when the maiden grillin' on my new Webber Summit "A" was a 6-pound pork shoulder using Steven's recipe found in his How to Grill book for North Carolina pull pork sandwiches. I grilled the pork shoulder using indirect heat for about five hours keeping Hickory chips smoking the whole time in an iron smoker box. I haven't had NC style pulled-pork sandwiches crowned with home-made coleslaw since I lived in Virginia Beach, Virginia, as a kid. His recipe for the rub, moppin' sauce, and NC vinegar sauce is the real stuff. Talk about good!!! Sure brought back some old memories. Highly Recommended.

Pete,
Thank you very much, and I agree. That decision much have been an extremely difficult one for Steven. I was totally surprised and happy beyond belief when I was contacted and told that I had won. This is by far the finest grill that I ever placed my greasy hands on and I sure like it. I've eaten at a few of the places mentioned by some of the contestants, and I knew how great those places were. Moreover, a number of entries sound like a "must try" next time I am passing through or visiting any of those places - and I will. Without a doubt, the members on this board know their stuff when it comes to quality BBQ of all dialects, and for that reason, this is the first place that I will come to for advice on what is good and where to go.

Most of all we should thank the BBQ guru, Steven Raichlen and his crew for making this site possible. Be sure to buy his books (best money ever spent), watch his show (and contrubute to your local PBS station), and frequent BarbecueBible.com and the BBQ board often. This is my new home on the net!
Forrest

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:39 pm
bmdm23 raw
raw

congrats Forrest. I live in gainesville and you've convinced me that the 170 mile drive is worth it. I'm eagerly awaiting my next trip to tampa. enjoy the grill.

Return to Best BBQ Joint