Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Where to eat in San Antonio

Where to eat in San Antonio

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:14 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

At the end of this month (January) I'll be finding myself in San Antonio, Texas for a few days for a conference. Does anyone have any recomendations as for BBQ joints in San Antonio?

Thanks for the advise!

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:57 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Try one of these.

http://www.wheresanantonioeats.com/view ... tegoryid=6

I always eat at Bill Miller's, but that may be because they were close to school. Of course, when there, my mother wouldn't go anywhere other than County Line. You'll find BBQ joints like taco stands down there...they're everywhere, and you usually can't go wrong.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:21 pm
Hawk rare
rare

River Ranch Bar-B-Que
421 East Commerce Street - (210) 354-0077
San Antonio, TX 78205

Try this one. It has a bit of a southwest/mexican flavor. The Carne Asada is good.

San Antone Joe

Drive toward Houston on Interstate 10 about half an hour to one of the absolute best BBQ places anywhere, City Market in Luling. It's located on the north side of the RR tracks at the intersection of US 90 and US 183. You won't find any better brisket or sausage anywhere except maybe at Black's BBQ another 15 minutes north on US 183 in Lockhart, "The BBQ Capital of Texas". This two hour round trip will be the highlight of your BBQ quest, I GARONTEE!!! (Check the links below)

http://www.blacksbbq.com/

http://homepage.mac.com/ravnhaus/BBQ/jo ... tymkt.html

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:46 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Joe - Now you've gone and done it. My delima is now that I'm supposed to be there on business, with pretty full days and nights, and I've got to find 2 hours to go try one of those places! If that doesn't pan out are any of the places around the riverwalk recommended? I'll be limited to taxi travel.

PostOakSmoke

Completely agree with Joe about the BBQ in Lockhart and Luling. You have to find a way to get to City Market in Luling or Black's and Smitty's in Lockhart. These are the absolute best towns for beef BBQ in Texas and thus the world. There are NO places in San Antonio, Austin, Houston or any of the big cities that even come close. You can't understand the vast difference until you experience it. Black's and Smitty's are both open Sundays from about 10-6, maybe that will work with your schedule. City Market in Luling is open 10-5:45 Mon-Sat and is closed Sunday. It would be worth the expense of renting a car for a day to get this BBQ!!! Black's has the best brisket and sausage in Texas, Smitty's has great sausage and prime rib and City Market has great brisket, sausage and pork ribs. The only side order I would get is beans.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:09 pm
San Antone Joe

Casa Rio on the Riverwalk serves decent Tex/Mex but every place else is high priced, touristy below average food. Other good Tex/Mex places in SA are Karam's (a mile or so west of downtown on Zarzamorra) and Blanco Cafe on Blanco Road. There is NO decnet BBQ in SA. (Look up a map of the Old Chisholm Trail, this will give you an idea of where the great bbq can be found). Basically, the line runs from Gonzales to Luling to Lockhart to Elgin to Taylor and then to Ft. Worth in Texas. It's not a coincidence that nearly all of the GREAT Texas beef BBQ can be found in these towns.

RE

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:30 pm
Hawk rare
rare

On the riverwalk you have The County Line , which is all about Bar B Que. It is in the 400 Block of the riverwalk where Hard Rock Cafe is. Casa Rio is pretty decent but it is just Mexican food. River Ranch is just a little further that Casa Rio and it is great. Lone Star Cafe is also pretty good but more of a Southern Texas food place. They do have a plate called the Back yard bar b que, it has 3 meats and is huge.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:42 pm
Steve in Austin

No offense to "Hawk", but I don't believe any of the places he mentioned cook their bbq with hardwood. If they don't, no way is the bbq going to be any good. I know Lone Star Cafe and County Line don't cook with hardwood. Never heard of River Ranch and only been eating Central Texas BBQ for about 40 years.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:29 pm
Hawk rare
rare

You are absolutely right Steve none of these places cook on hardwood. But the guy obviously has a dilema he is limited on time. He doesn't have time to drive out to one of the good places but if he's talking riverwalk that is as good as it is gonna get, everything down there is geared for tourists and not much else.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:56 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well guys I wanted to thank you for all the advise. My trip was great, you have a beautiful city, what little I saw of it (the convention center, the riverwalk, the alamo, and oh yeah the convention center). Unfortunately with my time schedule and not having a car and often being at the whim of others I didn't make it to the places you reccomended as best. I did make it to County Line. I put my foot down somewhere. I thought it was very good. For a tourist spot on the riverwalk they had good bbq. Was unimpressed with the beef ribs but the pork ribs were great. I really like their homemade sausage and te brisket was very tender. Overall a great meal.

I also had dinner one night at Texas Land and Cattle. Had a great Tbone steak.

Thanks guys for yuor help.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:46 pm

You have all lost your minds...If you want the best BBQ in San Antonio you go to BOB'S SMOKEHOUSE INC. (Roland Rd.) on the city's Southside off Rigsby Avenue. Do not confuse it with a simalarly named chain establishment. It doesn't look like much from the outside or from the inside for that matter. But it's the food that counts and this is the best BBQ you will ever buy in a restaraunt in San Antonio.

p.s. Bill Miller's is to BBQ as Taco Bell is to Mexican Food
Rudy's ain't much better.

Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:14 pm
San Antone Joe

As I said, there really is no GREAT BBQ in SA, you have to go to either Lockhart or Luling. Altho I've never tried BOB'S SMOKEHOUSE, I'm willing to bet my house it ain't as good as either City Market in Luling or Black's BBQ in Lockhart...

Return to Best BBQ Joint