Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Coopers, Llano, TX - Best BBQ Joint

Coopers, Llano, TX - Best BBQ Joint

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:11 pm
skupec raw
raw

My favorite barbeque joint is Coopers in Llano, Texas.

I got my first motorcycle in December of 2000. My first "big" ride was a pilgrimage to Coopers with another riding buddy. Everytime I ride my bike anywhere near Coopers I have to stop by for their pork chops. Imagine a chop that is modestly 3" high and as big around as your fist. To me the best part of any motorcycle ride is at stop at Coopers.

I love to ride and I love to eat BBQ - goes without saying that you can't beat a ride out to Coopers for their barbeque.

All my best grilling, Steve
Steve J Kupec

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:36 pm
Steve in Austin

Cooper's does a good job with some of their meats and not so good with others. Their mesquite wood/open pit smoking is not "typical" Texas BBQ, but it still works well for the "rib" cuts such as the pork and beef ribs and most especially, the goat. Split broiler chickens are also decent. Meats I would avoid at Cooper's are the brisket, sirloin and sausage. Their meat is also expensive by "small-town BBQ joint" standards with a whole chicken being the best deal at $9.00. $9-$10/lb. for ribs is a little high and the $7/lb. for their below avg. sausage is ridiculous. I usually buy a whole chicken, some goat ribs and a double-thick pork chop along with the complimentary beans, jalapenos, onions and bread. Skip the slaw and potato salad. Total price will be in the range of $35 and will easily feed four with some left to take home.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:37 pm
San Antone Joe

Coopers meat is simply too expensive for their location (in the middle of nowhere). It kind of sucks paying $10.00 per pound for ribs after you have already spent $20 in gas to get there and back.

Return to Best BBQ Joint