Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint The Germantown Commissary (again with name and address!)

The Germantown Commissary (again with name and address!)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
arbolton

A small neighborhood joint on the edge of Memphis, the Germantown Commissary isn't mentioned far as much as such Memphis BBQ establishments as Corky's, the Rendezvous, and Cozy Corner, but it should be!

The Commissary was the first Memphis-area restaurant to come up with pork bbq nachos--and although many other versions have since surfaced around town, none are nearly as good. These nachos are so tasty that when I spent a semester in Budapest, Hungary, and was homesick for southern food, I jokingly asked my parents to bring me some when they flew over to visit. Unbelievably, they actually followed through, packing each ingredient separately in a cooler and assembling the nachos upon arrival. Let me tell you--they tasted even better thousands of miles away!

It's really a simple recipe---a pile of regular ole tortilla chips, topped with nacho cheese and a heaping helping of pulled, smoked pork bbq, all sprinkled with bits of jalapeno pepper. Pair the nachos with a pitcher of beer, and follow them with a bowl of the Commissary's deliciously comforting banana pudding, and you've got yourself a meal!

Anna Bolton
6263 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111

The Germantown Commissary
2290 S Germantown Rd, Germantown, TN 38138
(901) 754-5540
(no URL)

Return to Best BBQ Joint