Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Good BBQ in Emmitsburg MD

Good BBQ in Emmitsburg MD

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm

Hi all!

Let me start by saying that I am new to this board and BBQ in general. However, I have been frequenting the site and reading/learning alot. Also I am on a Cookoff team with Grand Scale and have learned most of what I know BBQwise from him. He also talked me into joining the board.
That being said, I have found a place in Emmitsburg MD called Chubby's Southern Style Barbecue and I love it. I stopped there for lunch and had the pulled pork sandwich. IT WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD! I also tried all 5 homemade BBQ sauces on the table. The Private Reserve was the best. I would have tried more but was completely stuffed. However, I have been going by everyday, so I will be stopping again.

So, if you are on RT. 15 just North of Mt. Saint Mary's University, stop in, its worth it.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:50 am
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome HeavyHauler! Glad you've joined us.

I've often thought that I'd like to peek over GS's shoulder when he's cooking. :)

Thanks for sharing one of your favorite haunts with us.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:29 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Gald you could join us.

You can help us keep an eye on GS!

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:19 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board HeavyHauler! :D

Glad you joined the board in spite of what G.S. has said about us. :wink: :lol: You're among friends so if there's anything you need help with just give a holler.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:00 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah guys this rascal is my best friend and right hand in all things. He's the designated driver of The Big Heavy. Take that as it sounds he's driven more trailers than I'll ever see and has more skill than most. Plus I usually need a DD by the end of the day. Yardburner watched him pull out at Bel Air between stands and in a crowd. But don't let him fool you he is one good cook himself. Historically in the kitchen but the bbq/grill bug got him bad now.
Glad to see you aboard buddy. To the rest of you whatever he says about me is lies! All lies I say!

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:38 pm
ncdad rare
rare

Chubby's is really good. I've only had their sandwiches, both pork and brisket, and it's a thumbs up for both of them. Haven't tried the ribs yet. The best 'cue in Frederick County used to be @ Mountaindale off of 15 between Emmitsburg and Frederick. Really good brisket, that was about the best I've ever had. Unfortunately, Doug the owner sold the establishment, and while the place still turns out good bbq, it's not the same. Doug was quite a character, Texan to the core, who took a lot of pride in his brisket. Said pork was for Yankees. I hear he now splits his time between Texas and Mexico.

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:55 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm sorry to hear that. :cry:
Been a while since I've had the pleasure of his Q.

How long ago did he leave?

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:06 pm
ncdad rare
rare

Doug left about a year ago. The store, and more importantly the 'cue are still there, but it's not the same without Doug. An Asian family bought it from him, and he (amazingly) left them his recipes. The new owners do a nice job with the bbq, but Doug was one of a kind- he's definitely missed.

Yardburner, what do you recommend for Montgomery County 'cue. I've been past that place that's in or next to a hotel in Germantown near Montgomery College...I think it's called Bare Bones? Is it any good? Have you been to Urban BBq in Rockville? I've seen some good write ups in the Washington Post, but would like to hear your opinion.

later,
ncdad

Return to Best BBQ Joint