Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Texas Q

Texas Q

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:24 pm
Halfsmoke medium
medium

I have a family member in Fort Worth right now,and they will be there for the whole week. They would like to get some good Texas style Q, So if anyone here knows of a place close? :wink:

Thanks,
Halfsmoke
Proud member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals! ;)

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:27 pm

I heard Sonny Bryans in Dallas is pretty good. I think thats what it's called. I hear though, that when they run out of meat, they close, so its best to get there early.

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:38 pm

Yep, Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse. The orginal location is at 2202 Inwood Road in Dallas. There is another location in Fort Worth, At the Alliance Center 2421 Westport Parkway Suite 1400. Hope this helps.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Halfsmoke wrote:
I have a family member in Fort Worth right now,and they will be there for the whole week. They would like to get some good Texas style Q, So if anyone here knows of a place close? :wink:
Define "close". :wink: I have no idea about how much travel time would be required, but a trip down to Lockhart and Luling for barbecue (Kreuz and City, respectively) seems like it's at least worth looking into. And there's always the Yellow Pages, and if your relative's in a hotel it never hurts to ask at the front desk for ideas.

Brad

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:21 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've not eaten at Sonny Bryan's but have heard great reviews about them, however, they commented that Sonny Bryan's is the "Hooter's" of BBQ. I'd like to try them sometime whenever I'm out that way.

There is Angelo's on White Settlement road near downtown. Although they've been around for ages and have had rave reviews in the past, I was not impressed when I ate there years ago. The ribs and chopped beef were OK, but the ham was processed and pressed & I couldn't tell if it was even smoked. The bread is regular sliced sandwich bread and the sides look like they came straight out of a plastic tub.

I've heard good things about Railhead, near Montgomery and I-30.

Spring Creek & Dickies are both large chains with many locations where the food is fair (better than Angelo's IMO). I've always liked the fresh baked tiny hot loaves of bread brought around to the table while you eat.

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:10 pm
Lockhart

Check out www.dallasfood.org

I think Big Al's is the pick on that site, and it's relatively reliable and accurate in its reviews

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:26 pm
Lockhart

Here's a link to a D Magazine article written by the dallasfood.org guy:

www.dmagazine.com//article.asp?articleid=905

Here's a link to the BBQ report with some photos that includes Big Al' s:

www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=New ... cle&sid=13

I haven't been to Big Al's, but I have been to many of the other places mentioned. Not impressed with Angelo's nor its clone Railhead. The original Sonny Bryan's is helped by the atmosphere, but the 'cue isn't as good as it used to be.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:27 pm
Ruttco

My favorite place is just outside of San Antonio in little town called Leon Springs. The name of the place is Rudy's. It is a no frills just good barbecue place to go.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:46 am

I'd like to second the Dickie's choice, except I would always eat at the Grand Prairie location...this was there before it was a chain and is still the best.

Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:25 am
PostOakSmoke

SB was good about 20 years ago and it has been sliding downhil fast ever since. There are two GREAT BBQ places in Ft. Worth, Angelo's and Railhead. Since they are about five to ten minutes drive apart, try em both. Get a sliced brisket sandwich "all the way", some beans and tater salad and a FREEZING cold "large" mug of beer and you'll be in business...

Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:07 am

cousins is the best BBQ in Fort Worth

Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:13 am
Trout medium
medium

Bob-BQN wrote:
The bread is regular sliced sandwich bread and the sides look like they came straight out of a plastic tub.

I thought that most BBQ joints use plain white bread and the sides are "spartan" at best.

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:30 am

Ya'll are sendin folks all over Texas. Son, this is a BIG state! The trip from Fort Worth to Lockhart is about 4.5 hours. That's a long way for lunch! If you're gonna drive, you might as well try the Cyclone Corral east of Temple.

The folks are in Fort Worth. Try "Railhead" at 2900 Montgomery Street or "Angelos" at 2533 White Settlement Road (Cash Only). Of course Sonny Bryans and Cousins as already mentioned, are tops.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:00 pm

I have to 2nd Ruffco's nod to Rudy's. I have been to the one in San Antonio, but there is also one in Denton, only 35 north of Dallas. A bit of a drive but worth it. A can't miss if you're passin through on I-35.
Jachin
----------------------------
Jenn Air '06 3-Burner

Return to Best BBQ Joint